This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

The Spring is a great time of year to revitalize your beauty routine. Once we become accustomed to a “look,” it becomes our go-to. I tend to wear more natural make-up, but love surfing Youtube and other sources of media for inspiration.

My cousin works as a Cosmetician with Shoppers Drug Mart, and helped me “shake up my make-up” with some products that are perfect for spring. Here are some of her recommendations and my thoughts since incorporating them into my routine!

Lise Watier Blush-On Powder in the shade, “Natural Glow.”

This blush is light and airy and does not clump on the skin. Simply apply with a blush brush starting from the front of your cheek bones, working back to your ear. It adds a subtle bit of colour that provides a slightly “flushed” appearance. Soft pinks and rose-y hues are very on trend this season. This shade is so pretty and it will help you to achieve a dewy natural glow.

Maybelline Fit Me! Concealer in #15 –“Fair

This concealer is great. It’s the perfect dupe to NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer that doesn’t break the bank. It’s very soothing on the skin and does not clump or run once applied to the face. It is full-coverage enough that it conceals acne, scarring, brown spots and dark circles without using a ton of the product. It’s so good, that many people use it as their foundation too! I’ve tried this, it works quite well and blends out nicely. Apply to the face using the wand or a stippling brush. 

Elizabeth Arden Beautiful Colour Moisturizing Lipstick in “Pretty Pink

I’m new to Elizabeth Arden, but this lipstick has made me a fan. The colour is pigmented and applies smoothly without leaving a glossy residue. Although it may not look like it, this colour is very natural; it only makes my lips look slightly darker. True to its name, it does not dry out the lips and lasts all day long. I also found that its transfer is minimal, as I do not see its remnants on the rims of my countless coffee cups. Plus, the packaging is super sweet too.

Dermablend Professional Loose Setting Powder in “Original

I’m relatively new to the world of Setting Powder, as I’ve often used a coloured pressed powder to seal my foundation. Although I am not yet 100 per cent sold on this product, I’ve really enjoyed using it so far. The powder is very fine and does not leave a cakey appearance once applied. It’s ideal for “baking.” Since doing so, I find my foundation and concealer does not transfer and that my face appears less oily at the end of the day. Apply to the face with either the accompanying puff, or use your own powder brush. This, when used in combination with the Maybelline Concealer, has the ability to withstand a good gym session, which is great for me.

Pur Minerals Wake Up Brow in “Latte

As someone who wears glasses, having to fill in my brows comes with an advantage — it’s a great way to define the features on my face. Like everything else, I got into a routine of applying a basic brow pencil, but got lazy and eventually abandoned it. This product, by Pur Minerals, has changed my mind again. The colour is so pretty. When I apply it, my brows almost appear an ashy blonde. It’s effortless to apply and blends well when combed through with the brush. The pencil is also dual-ended, and comes with an eye illuminator.

G J

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Grace is a twenty-something fourth-year majoring in History and Research Specialization. She drinks way too much coffee, has a passion for old books and movies.
Madeline McInnis

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeline graduated from the BA+MA program at Wilfrid Laurier University in 2020. In her undergraduate degree, she majored in Film Studies and History with a specialization in film theory. She later completed her Master's of English degree, where she wrote her thesis on the construction of historical memory and realism in war films. If you're looking for a recommendation for a fountain pen or dotted notebook, she should be your first line of contact.