Five Essential Items You Need in Your Closet This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

It’s that time of year again where leaves are falling, school is back in session, and we girls are finally breaking out the layers, knits, and leggings as we kiss goodbye our flip-flops and short-shorts. Pumpkin-spiced everything is back in season and Thanksgiving is just around the corner. So kick back, grab a Pumpkin-Spiced Latte, and check out all the essentials you need to glamourize your closet this fall!

With the cold weather quickly approaching, darker hues are back in the mix, but that doesn’t mean your closet needs to be gloomy. Fall wardrobes should be bold but easily refashioned and tailored for all the occasions this season brings. These five items are essential to a complete and universal fall wardrobe that will give you all the street cred necessary to make your name as a fashionista here at Laurier. 

Leggings

Top on our list is your favourite pair of leggings. No fall outfit is complete without them and, personally, we think they are the true mark of autumn. No matter who you talk to, – leggings trump all. It just isn’t possible to get that kind of comfort while still looking great and showing off our assets in anything else! Wear them with a classic T and poncho to class for a styled yet comfortable look. For a night out, you could even pair them with an over-sized knit and booties for a classy AND warm look.

Face cream + lip balm

Next on the list, and probably the most important, is a killer moisturizer to hydrate your sun-kissed skin. It’s comes as no surprise that summer is a time for us girls to work on our tans to achieve that perfect summer glow, but with drier weather on the horizon our skin needs a serious rejuvenation. We recommend a daily moisturizer and lip balm with SPF to kick get your skin back into top shape and have it ready to combat the crisp autumn weather. 

Poncho

One of our personal favourites is the poncho, which is also known as a shawl or wrap. These warm knits are perfect for absolutely everything! Wear them with jeans or leggings for a relaxing and cozy afternoon, or throw it overtop on top of a dress for a sexy, yet realistic fall night out on the town.

Sweater dress 

Our street-style staple for your wardrobe is a sweater dress. They come in every shape, colour, pattern, and design. The styling options, along with versatility, are endless. Whether it is skintight worn over leggings or a dressed up oversized knit paired with knee-highs, this dress is a must have in your closet and looks great styled with a poncho. 

Bootie Heels

Our must have for fall is bootie heels. Not only are they extremely fashionable and make your legs look fantastic, they are also super comfortable! They can dress up leggings or jeans for a cute day look, or you can pair them with an oversized sweater dress for a casual but flirtatious date outfit.

What’s in your closet, collegiettes? Let us know on Twitter @HerCampusWLUCA !

Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem