Career

Femme Fatale: Women in Business Leadership

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Meet Emily Lyons, the founder and CEO of Femme Fatale. I have had the pleasure of chatting with her about her success as a female business leader, and getting her advice for those starting off their own careers.

Name: Emily Lyons

Age: 32

Place of Residence: Toronto, Ontario

Favourite Snack: Dark Chocolate  

Favourite spot in Toronto:  The dog park

Favourite Place you have Visited: Australia

Favourite Music Genre: Old school hip hop, hits from the 90s

Hobbies: Volunteering, spending time with my family and three dogs.

You are the CEO and founder of Femme Fatale, would you be able to explain to our audience what Femme Fatale is?

Femme Fatale is a nationwide event staffing and experiential marketing agency.

Here is a link to learn more: https://www.femmefatalemedia.com  

What inspired you to start Femme Fatale?

A book I read that my sister gave me on how to make a great living doing what you love.

As a young female entrepreneur, starting Femme Fatale at age 23, did you ever find challenges that you encountered along the way?

Absolutely. When I was young it was very hard to be taken seriously and given a chance.

Do you have any other businesses besides of Femme Fatale?

Yes, True Glue Beauty – a purveyor of organic innovative cosmetics, Lyons Elite – a luxury matchmaking agency, and JWLS – a watch company that raises funds for Cystic Fibrosis.

How do you think you have grown as a leader? As well, how would you describe your leadership style now?

I’m a very participative leader, also known as democratic leadership style. I’m always asking my team to be a part of decision making. I’ve learned over the years that more heads are better than just mine. Everyone has different viewpoints and ideas they can bring to the table. I’ve hired them for a reason, I need to let that reason shine and not just tell them what to do.

International Womens Day is March 8th, what are your feelings towards female growth or lack of, in the business world? 

I think we are making strides, small strides, but they are still there. The Canadian government is making some advances; this year and they included a focus on women entrepreneurs in their budget. This budget has a heavy focus on supporting equity between women and men. Currently, women still earn 31% less than men on an annual basis, but they seem to be implementing strategies to bridge the wage gap. This is one of the most important issues we can tackle for women in the business world.

Some would say you are a one in a million, being a successful business owner. Have you ever felt as a female leader, that there is still a divide in terms of how people respect you versus how men are respected?

Yes, there is. Women have a lot more struggles to overcome, but on the other hand we have a lot more opportunities. For instance, the other day at a restaurant I overheard two men talking about a marketing campaign and getting it staffed. I approached their table and interrupted their meal, they were happy to chat and I ended up getting their business. If I was a man I think they would have been more taken aback by me approaching them like that.

One of the really difficult things I found being a female entrepreneur was dealing with men in high positions asking for meetings just to hit on me. Using the potential of business to get me on a date. It has happened more times than I can count. A businessman would most likely never experience that from a female executive. It’s too common and I think a lot of women experience it. It’s far less now that I’m older and more established. It’s really hard when you are a young female, working so hard to make it, and a successful man uses that to dangle the possibilities over your head. It’s shocking how so many famous men at some of the largest companies have acted. I could write one heck of a book!

Who has been your inspiration in your life? To guide you into the woman that you have become? 

My sister Julia, my Aunt Carol, my mother Gail and my longest employee/best friend, Kirsten. All amazing, strong women.

Sadly, I lost both my sister and my Aunt, but that has not changed the daily inspiration they provide me.

My mother always told me to do whatever makes you happy. She said whether I chose to scrub toilets or become a doctor, as long as I was happy, that was all that mattered. She also has a very take no crap attitude. She says it how it is despite the outcome.

Kirsten started working with me nine years ago. She has been through the ups and downs as we grew and never left my side. She is the most loyal, hard working individual I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. You don’t find people like that often; when you do you hold on to them.

What is your secret to keep your life and your business organized and successful?

This can be tricky. Staying focused and delegating are what help me the most. Remembering to say no when you need to, stay focused, keep away from drama, and just enjoy the ride.

What advice would you give your 15-year-old self?

Start now, you are not too young. Learn everything you can and don’t be scared. Just go for it.

What advice would you give a young female who is just starting out in the business world and trying to figure out what they would like to do?

You need to find out where your passions are in life. If you are going to be successful, it has to be doing something you love.

Last question, do you have a motto or a quote you live by?

If it is not going to matter in 5 years, don’t spend more than 5 minutes worrying about it!

Thank you very much Emily for answering some questions for our Her Campus readers!

4th Year Communication Studies Major, at Wilfrid Laurier University.