This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Suki Waterhouse

I first discovered Suki Waterhouse from one of my favourite shows, Daisy Jones and the Six, where she played one of the main characters in the show’s band. After finishing the show, I did what any normal person would do and stalked all of the cast members. I discovered that Suki made music in real life and was a very successful female artist, not to mention her live performances look amazing! You may recognize her song “Good Looking” as it was trending on TikTok for a while. If you liked that song and are looking for other good recommendations, her songs Moves, To Love, and Johanna are also very good.

Ethel Cain

Every one of Ethel’s albums tells her audience a powerful story about someone’s life, sometimes set from teenage years to death. Her songs are incredibly empowering and great to scream along with. Many of her monologues are representations of Ethel’s story introducing her troubled relationship with her family, religion and past experiences. A few of my favourite songs are Family Tree, Strangers, and Crush.

Florence + The Machine

Florence + The Machine’s music discography is a great representation of empowering female rage. Florence expresses the feelings of anger perfectly through lyrics, beat drops and performances. Whenever I listen to their music, I feel powerful. Florence makes me want to become a musician (although I seriously can’t sing). A few of my favourite songs are “Dream Girl Evil”, “Girl With One Eye”, and “You’ve Got The Love”.

Stevie Nicks

Stevie Nicks is the first woman to be inducted twice into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Whether she plays solo or with Fleetwood Mac, her international success is largely attributed to her empowering songwriting and stage performance. She writes about love, heartbreak and coming-of-age experiences. Plus, she’s just fabulous. Please check her out!

Willow Avalon

I first discovered Willow Avalon on TikTok where she posts music-related content in hopes of building her platform. She’s an inspiring young artist whose main music style is country. Willow’s music is the reason I took an interest in country music. Her empowering lyrics and relatable words are truly inspiring and I think everyone should listen to her, whether you’re a country fan or not. She recently came out with a new album called Gettin’ Rich, Goin’ Broke. I highly suggest you check her out! It’s great to support smaller music artists.

Fiona Apple

Fiona Apple showcases the struggles of female artists and how they never get the same recognition that men do. Her song Paper Bag perfectly explains feelings that I’ve had that I was never able to put into words before. Her empowering lyrics and wise advice make her seem like an older sister. Her music is great and captivating and she just seems like a really genuine and inspiring person.

Some other people that I’d recommend are Boygenius, The Beaches, Muna, Renee Rapp, Mitski and Lana Del Rey.

I hope you enjoy some of the songs I recommended and find these female artists as empowering as I do!

Kayla Banning

Wilfrid Laurier '27

Applying to be a marketing general member for Her Campus WLU!!
Kayla Banning

Wilfrid Laurier '27

Hi everyone!! My name is Kayla and I'm a first year studying communications at Wilfrid Laurier University. I'm originally from Hamilton which is about an hour away from Waterloo. I am apart of the writing team here at Her Campus WLU and am very grateful for the opportunity to write on a big platform. Through my communications major I have discovered that I love media and I love to write. At my high school I was a Prefect which means I helped students adjust to the change from elementary school into high school. I know it can be a difficult adjustment which is why I want to help other first years feel comfortable and welcome during their adjustment from high school into university. During my high school years I worked at a grocery store where I managed customer service and helped train new employees. In my free time, I enjoy reading, listening to music, watching movies, and hanging out with my dog when I'm at home. My favourite book would have to be the Secret History by Donna Tartt (if you haven't read it yet i highly recommend), another few favourites are Normal People, The Catcher in the Rye, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and the Shatter Me series. My all time favourite artist would have to be Lana Del Rey and a very close second are the Arctic Monkeys. As for movies I have a wide range of favourites including Dead Poets Society, Gone Girl, The Breakfast Club, Black Swan, Alice in Wonderland, Clueless, and Little Women. My doggy is 8 years old and is the most precious thing in my life. I love any kind of animal but dogs are probably my favourite. A lot of my humour stems from the show New Girl and if you see me I'll probably be drinking a Dr.Pepper. Anyways, thank you for reading Her Campus and I look forward to writing to you!