This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

SPOILER ALERT: 2023 is a year full of film remakes, prequels and sequels. From Marvel to DC to nostalgic films like Indiana Jones, these new releases will have you on the edge of your seat. I’m so excited to watch these and I recommend you put them on your watchlist too!

Ghosted – April 21

When rom-com meets action film, it’s assured we’ll get a good laugh, especially coming from the writers of the Deadpool films. Starring Chris Evans and Ana de Armas, this film is about a regular guy who meets a seemingly regular girl. Just when things are going well, she ghosts him. He finds himself unable to let go because of his love for her so he travels to London as a grand gesture to “get the girl.” Turns out she’s a CIA agent, and he gets tangled up in her latest mission. Just when you think things are normal, they aren’t.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 – May 5

Marvel is again expanding the MCU with the beloved Chris Pratt, making yet another Guardians of the Galaxy film. With the first two being absolutely incredible in their cinematics and music, it will be exciting to see if it can get any better! It will also be interesting to see if Will Poulter is up to the task of playing the infamous Adam Warlock teased at the end of Vol. 2.

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse – June 2

Keeping up with the adventures of Miles Morales, Marvel brings us a second film in the Spider-Verse saga. Considering the Oscar-worthy success of the first film, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, I wouldn’t expect anything less with this one! There are rumors of Tom Holland potentially being included in the Spider-Verse in this upcoming film, however, the producers of the film have neither confirmed nor denied this possibility.

The Flash – June 16

DC takes a stab at the multiverse trope when the Flash travels back to change the past. Instead of changing the past, he unintentionally changes the future, trapping himself within an alternate reality. This film is exciting as it brings back both Ben Affleck and Michael Keaton as Batman, fighting with the Flash against General Zod (from the Superman series) and“Dark Flash”. As hectic and chaotic as this sounds, I think it will be interesting to see how the producers of this film pull the elements from Flashpoint to create something new and exciting. Additionally, I’m curious to see how well Ezra Miller does taking over Grant Gustin’s role as the Flash. Overall, this DC film, if done well, will be a strong competitor to the Marvel multiverse.

Indiana Jones & the Dial of Destiny – June 30

80-year-old Harrison Ford returns as Indiana Jones in the fifth installment of the series. After 15 years between this film and the last, I’m not sure what to expect, especially considering this is the first time Steven Spielberg is not directing. Harrison Ford swore this would be his final film in the Indiana Jones franchise, hanging up his fedora after this film is through. With this much anticipation, I hope this addition will be as good as the rest of the franchise.

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes  – November 17

Based on the prequel novel by Suzanne Collins, this dystopian film will revolve around the backstory of 18-year-old Coriolanus Snow (before he becomes president of the Capitol) during the 10th annual Hunger Games. I expect this film will be interesting as we’ll see the villain origin story of Snow and how his character development pans out to be the man we know and hate.

Wonka – December 15

This (long-awaited) prequel film to the classic Roald Dahl book, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, has been years in the making. With Timothée Chalamet starring as a young Willy Wonka, the film tells us the story of Wonka’s adventures before the factory, including how he came to know the Oompa-Loompas, as well as 7 (new and original) musical numbers along the way. This prequel is said to disregard the events established through Tim Burton’s 2005 rendition of Charlie & the Chocolate Factory where Wonka was played by Johnny Depp. Although this new rendition will take on a new and different perspective from the previous films we know and love, it is still a tremendously anticipated film this year. Personally, I’m a little bummed that Depp and Burton’s ideas won’t be implemented in this new film, however, it will be interesting to see how Chalamet plays the eccentric role of Willy Wonka.

Although these are just a few of the highly anticipated films being released, it is likely they’ll be some of the most successful and exciting films to hit the theatre in 2023.

Marybeth Lee

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Marybeth is a 4th year Psychology major and English minor. She loves all things outdoors – hiking, fishing, camping, mudding… you name it! She has a passion for music – Marybeth posts covers of songs on her Instagram, and occasionally writes her own songs as well. She wants to travel and explore more, perhaps bringing along her cat, Beau.