gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Every Girl’s Love-Hate Relationship with Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

When you live in Canada, harsh winters are just something you have to live with. It’s survival of the fittest: you either learn to love it, or you let it eat you alive. There are lots of great aspects of winter to be celebrated, but no matter how hard you try to focus on the positives, there are some things you simply can’t force yourself to enjoy. This is just a fact of life; you’re not going to like everything you have to put up with, but you might as well get some comedic relief as we here at Laurier transition into the winter months.

Love: Getting into the holiday spirit 

Hate: Constantly being cold for the next 4 months 

Love: Being able to wear all comfortable clothing, all the time

Hate: Not being able to wear any of your cute, less weather-appropriate clothing

Love: Cozy nights in

Hate: Freezing your *ss off in line for the bar AND having to pay for coat check

Love: The plethora of hot holiday drinks available 

Hate: The damage to your bank account because all these drinks are pricey AF

Love: Perfect cuddling weather

Hate: Sex requires extra motivation, since removing clothing is not something you want to do when youre already freezing

Love: Not worrying about all that summer body bullsh*t

Hate: Leaving your house and braving the cold weather to go anywhere feels nearly impossible

Hate: Cabin fever from staying in your room and avoiding the cold for extended periods of time

Love: Getting to bust out your winter parka (or giving yourself an excuse to buy a new one!)

Hate: Shoe options are restricted to winter boots, rubber boots, and Uggs

Love: Snow makes everything (including your social media) more magical

Hate: Ice makes walking anywhere a balancing act

Love: Cute winter activities like ice-skating, skiing, snowman making, and snowball fights

Hate: The lingering possibility of frostbite

Love: Winter Break 

Hate: Exams

Sophia Cole

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Sophia Cole is a Writer and Editor for Her Campus WLU. She writes on everything from tongue-in-cheek topics like sex and relationships to easy reading pieces on the trials and tribulations of being a modern day woman. When she's not busy trying to be the next Carrie Bradshaw, Sophia enjoys spending time exploring new places, practising yoga and eating an abundance of different foods. 
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem