Style

Early Christmas Gift Ideas from a Shopaholic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

The pressure of getting asked for Christmas gift ideas early on in the season is currently happening. Here are some Christmas gift ideas from someone who shops… a lot.

Knockoff Ugg’s:

Although they’re beautiful and trendy, not everyone can or wants to spend $100 on Uggs.

But don’t worry, Winners has these perfect Ugg knockoffs that keep your feet cozy but still look cute. I have a pair myself and they’re perfect for lounging around the house or for running late to class. From a distance, you would never be able to tell that they aren’t real Ugg boots.

Sephora gift sets:

Love Sephora but your bank account doesn’t? Sephora has some Christmas gift sets that are perfect for the holiday season. Some sets include makeup, cosmetics, skincare, hair care and even designer perfume. The best part is that you get all the products at once and for a much lower price. The value of the products in the gift sets can sometimes be double what you are paying for. This is a great way to purchase new products on a budget or a great gift idea for another Sephora lover.

Sony headphones:

We’ve all seen the viral Apple Air Pods Max, right? Well, if you’re looking for a Christmas gift that gives a “clean girl aesthetic look” but is way cheaper, I recommend buying the Sony headphones. I purchased these for myself last Christmas and I use them every day. They’re functional, cute and they make me feel put together, although that might just be the placebo effect.

Mugs:

Christmas time screams mugs. Hot cocoa, chai tea, pumpkin spice lattes, these all require a mug. This might be very niche, but mugs are my weakness. If I see a mug, I will buy it. You can usually find some at Winners or on Amazon for only $5.99. If you wanted to jazz it up, you could also stick some candy or hot chocolate packets in the mug to create the perfect gift for someone. If you’re a Gilmore Girls fan like me, I suggest buying a Luke’smug off Amazon. I use mine every day and it makes me feel as if I’m at Luke’s diner in Stars Hallow.  

Books:

Some great authors I recommend gifting to someone would be Mitch Albom, James Patterson, Tahereh Mafi, Sally Rooney, Leigh Bardugo and Ottessa Moshfegh. Plus, a cute date idea could be going to the bookstore together and each of you picking out one book that you think the other person will like and then gifting it to them for Christmas. It’s a fun surprise to see what the other person thought you might enjoy. This is a cute and intimate Christmas gift or date idea.

Movie projector:

For someone who has been wanting to see a movie but doesn’t feel like going to the movie theatres, a projector would be the perfect way to spend a night in.

Lululemon keychain:

As a first year who has to carry two keys to my dorm and a one card on me at all times, I knew I needed a heavy-duty keychain. So, I bought a Dual Pouch Wristletfrom Lululemon. You can fit so much in the two pouches, I keep a hair tie, meds, lip gloss, gift cards, ID, etc. on me at all times. Since I knew I would always have my one card and keys on me I thought I’d attach the two, that way they never get lost! This is more of a pricey idea, but is definitely worth it!

Disposable camera:

I know we all have phones… but how fun is it to take photos with a real camera? I don’t own a disposable camera but I’m definitely asking for one this Christmas. I wish I had one when I was in Italy to capture the scenery that I’ll probably never see again. Something about taking a photo off a disposable camera and being able to print out the pictures to make a collage is much more fun than taking a picture on an iPhone. I also think this gift would be great as a Christmas party favour!

I hope this inspiration has helped girlies! Just remember, gifts can be something small and meaningful because, in the end, it really is just the thought that counts.

Kayla Banning

Wilfrid Laurier '27

Hi everyone!! My name is Kayla and I'm a first year studying communications at Wilfrid Laurier University. I'm originally from Hamilton which is about an hour away from Waterloo. I am apart of the writing team here at Her Campus WLU and am very grateful for the opportunity to write on a big platform. Through my communications major I have discovered that I love media and I love to write. At my high school I was a Prefect which means I helped students adjust to the change from elementary school into high school. I know it can be a difficult adjustment which is why I want to help other first years feel comfortable and welcome during their adjustment from high school into university. During my high school years I worked at a grocery store where I managed customer service and helped train new employees. In my free time, I enjoy reading, listening to music, watching movies, and hanging out with my dog when I'm at home. My favourite book would have to be the Secret History by Donna Tartt (if you haven't read it yet i highly recommend), another few favourites are Normal People, The Catcher in the Rye, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and the Shatter Me series. My all time favourite artist would have to be Lana Del Rey and a very close second are the Arctic Monkeys. As for movies I have a wide range of favourites including Dead Poets Society, Gone Girl, The Breakfast Club, Black Swan, Alice in Wonderland, Clueless, and Little Women. My doggy is 8 years old and is the most precious thing in my life. I love any kind of animal but dogs are probably my favourite. A lot of my humour stems from the show New Girl and if you see me I'll probably be drinking a Dr.Pepper. Anyways, thank you for reading Her Campus and I look forward to writing to you!