Culture > News

Doug Ford or Your Trash Ex-Boyfriend?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

When the COVID-19 pandemic first began we were told that we would be locked down for two weeks to flatten the curve. Now, here we are over a year later, still in lockdown with cases on the rise. In between the first lockdown and the most recent, there were a few good weeks with low cases and businesses open, but for the most part, our faithful leader Dougie has done nothing but lie and manipulate the public into believing he has our best interest in mind. Politics aside, Doug Ford has handled this pandemic horribly. However, I’m sure some of his tactics sound familiar. If you’ve ever had a toxic ex-boyfriend, you will recognize why Ford is actually just a twenty-year-old frat boy who refuses to commit to anything serious because he’s “just not ready for a relationship right now.”

Let the gaslighting begin

We have all had an ex who made us feel like no matter what we did, how hard we tried or however many times we apologized, we were always in the wrong. This tactic is called gaslighting and it’s one of the first red flags you will notice in a relationship. While it’s never right, it’s even worse to see it coming from the leader of your province. A few weeks ago, Doug Ford lifted the lockdown restrictions, allowing restaurants to open their patios and encouraging young people to go and support the local dining spots. A few weeks later, as cases rose and restaurants were once again forced to shut, the man in charge came out and blamed young people for going to the restaurants that he himself encouraged them to go to.

You up?

Speaking of restaurants, those poor restaurant owners have been taken on and off of Dougie’s roster all year. He wants them for a few weeks, then he ghosts them and when it works for his schedule, he hits them with a “you up?” text. He leads them on thinking they will get back together for good this time, then inevitably breaks things off again.

It’s not you, it’s Doug’s inability to commit to anything long-term

“I’m just not ready for anything serious right now…” You have probably heard this a thousand times. I can guarantee that this is always a lie. It was already bad enough coming from Matt back in first year but now you’re hearing it from the leader of Ontario. Doug Ford’s inability to commit to a full lockdown is the equivalent of your ex-partner being unable to commit to anything more than a few hookups a week and a facetime if he’s feeling generous.

It’s Doug’s world and we are all just living in it

Everyone has that one ex that the world had to revolve around. Dates, family functions, tv shows and everything else on your schedule all happened when and where it worked for them. The same thing goes for Doug Ford. If you were to schedule a press conference for 1:30 pm, it is safe to assume that the press conference will start at 1:30 pm. Not with Doug. Life with Doug means that you have to be on your toes 24/7. To make things worse, half of his announcements are just to let you know that he will be making an announcement. Kind of like when your ex would say “we need to talk” then proceed to keep you waiting for a week until it was convenient for them to have the conversation.

Overall, Doug Ford is just as bad as your trash ex. Hopefully, we will all be able to look back and laugh at this bad partnership one day, but until then, stay home and stay safe.

Emma Soden

Wilfrid Laurier '22

Emma is a 4th year English student at Wilfrid Laurier University with minors in Global Studies and Criminology. She is passionate about reading, writing and fitness. She hopes to pursue a career in journalism with a focus on sports.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!