felix luo ucRO rs4y9I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
felix luo ucRO rs4y9I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Decor

Dorm-Friendly Plants You Can’t Accidentally Kill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

If you’re like me, you love plants. They’re cute, they liven up a room and help clean the air. I’d love to cover my dorm room in grasses and little cacti, but there’s a problem: I have the complete opposite of a green thumb. It doesn’t matter how carefully I water them; my plants will wilt, shrivel up and die! That is, until I started only buying plants that thrive when you don’t do anything to them. Just water a few times a month and they will flourish! So here it is, my top five plants that won’t randomly die.

1. The ZZ plant (Zamioculcas Zamiifolia)

This plant is super cute, super Instagram worthy and super easy to take care of! The ZZ plant originates from South Africa which is why it doesn’t need to be watered much, only when the soil goes dry. Make sure to place it in indirect sunlight. The only drawback of this plant is that it is poisonous, so don’t eat it (obviously?) or let your pets eat it.

2. Aloe Vera Plant

Aloe Vera plants are easy succulents to care for. Keep them in a half-soil, half-sand mixture and water every two weeks, or when the soil becomes completely dry. Not only is it pretty easy to care for, it’s easy to tell when you’ve done something wrong. If the leaves become brown and limp, you’ve overwatered it. I’ve placed my Aloe Vera plant near my windowsill, because they do like a lot of light.

3. The Snake Plant

Don’t worry, the snake plant does not actually attract snakes. It is absolutely gorgeous and only needs to be watered every two weeks! This plant is wonderful because it can thrive in any kind of sunlight and grows upwards, so it doesn’t take up much space. I find it’s cutest on a bookshelf or beside a full-length mirror.

4. Monstera

The Monstera Deliciosa has such a nice aesthetic, grows very quickly and is easy to care for. Just water it once a week and place in indirect sunlight. This is the best plant to take boastful gardening selfies with, it’s that cute.

5. Chinese Evergreen

The last plant (and the one I find easiest to care for) is the Chinese Evergreen. It needs to be watered a lot but doesn’t mind being overwatered. Just make sure to put it in well-draining soil. It should also be placed in indirect sunlight. This plant comes in all sorts of varieties and can have beautiful colours which can really brighten up a room and add an eye-catching visual.

Photo Source: https://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/chinese-evergreen-spring-snow

Spice up your dorm with one (or all) of these adorable yet stress-free plants!

Hailey Inman

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Hailey Inman is a first year Psychology major who's minoring in french. She loves reading, writing and painting.
Sarah McCann

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Sarah is a fourth year Communications and Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University who is passionate abut female empowerment. She is one of two Campus Correspondents for the Laurier Her Campus Chapter! Sarah loves dancing, animals, photography, ice cream, and singing super obnoxiously, in no particular order.