This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Ever have trouble trying to write about yourself for cover letters? No need to fret, you are not the only one.

Cover letters can be hard to write- after all, it’s a whole page of just talking about you! It can be intimidating to try and walk the thin line between saying the perfect things and seeming full of yourself. However, sometimes this can lead to being shy in your cover letters, which we definitely do not want.

Cover letters are your time to shine. The spotlight is already on you, so you might as well make the most of it! The important thing to remember is to just focus on your highlights. Pick out your experiences that are most suited for the role that you are applying for. You don’t have to go into all the details- you can save those for the interview. The cover letter just is a little sneak peek about what you can offer. 

Employers want to know about you and what you can bring to the table. This is their first glance at who you are so you have to make sure you get the most out of it! Use this as a chance to demonstrate just how hard-working and deserving you are. After all, employers ask for cover letters for a reason. They really do make all the difference when applying for a job. Just by writing one, you have already gone the extra mile to show your dedication.

It’s good to also remember that cover letters aren’t just all about you. It’s always important to give a little praise to where you are applying to and mention why you would want to work there. Be sure to try and showcase how your skills line up with the requirements for the job. It’s good to include detail but make sure not to go overboard- no one wants to read five pages on why you want the job!

Good luck with your job hunts, Golden Hawks!

Megan Cruz

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Megan Cruz is a 4th-year film studies student at WLU. She already has a diploma from Vancouver film school for writing for Games, Television, and film. When she isn't writing she can be found in a pillow fort watching cartoons  
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!