The Definitive List of the Best Waterloo Clubs & Bars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

One of my favourite things about this city is the vibrant student nightlife; there’s a ton of bars and clubs that we can choose from, each with its own specialties and unique theme. I’ve compiled a list of some clubs/bars that I most enjoy going to, based on overall quality and atmosphere.

5. Becky’s Apartment

This venue is located uptown, right next to The Pub on King. It’s definitely the smallest club in the city, but it has its own charm that makes it feel like you’re really partying in someone’s tiny apartment. The décor is really pretty as well; I especially like the flower wall at the back where you can get some awesome pictures with your friends on your night out. If you’re looking to have a quieter night with a smaller group of friends (or if Pub is too full), Becky’s is a must to try out! 

4. Brixton Social

A more high-end venue, Brixton Social is a great place to check out if you’re in the mood to dress up and are looking for a classier atmosphere. The venue is most popular with the student crowd on Thursdays and Saturdays and it hosts a variety of events during the week as well. It’s also one of the few places in Waterloo where you can order bottle service; not a bad way to celebrate special occasions with a booth and bottles of Grey Goose!

3. The Drink Uptown

The hottest new club in Waterloo, The Drink Uptown is the complete opposite of the club that it replaced: Night School. The vibe is closer to Brixton in that it has a classier atmosphere and promotes a lot of events. It’s another place where you can order bottle service and a booth for birthdays; however, one thing that it does have over Brixton is that the venue is much larger and has a higher capacity. 

2. Phil’s Grandson’s Place

An iconic Waterloo night club, you can’t go to Laurier and not have visited this venue at least once in your academic career. Beloved for its cheap drinks and casual atmosphere, Phil’s is definitely the place to be when you just want to dance and have fun with your friends. The place has themed music nights as well; DJs play a mix of hip-hop, R&B, throwbacks and electronic music on specific nights of the week.

1. The Pub on King

Another Waterloo staple, Pub on King offers a relaxed and cozy atmosphere in the early evening but turns into a dance party late into the night. There are booths and tables where you can have a sit-down drink or snacks with your friends, plus a dance floor for when you’re ready to start partying. They play a variety of music genres here; everything from hip-hop to early 2000’s pop. Overall, it’s a great place to meet friends and party, with a more chill atmosphere compared to Phil’s.

We hope that you’ve enjoyed this list of the best Waterloo club/bars! Going out is such an important part of student life so we hope you find time to unwind and relax in the midst of studying!

Cici Wei

Wilfrid Laurier '20

A 4th year Political Science and Management Option Student at WLU.
Sarah McCann

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Sarah is a fourth year Communications and Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University who is passionate abut female empowerment. She is one of two Campus Correspondents for the Laurier Her Campus Chapter! Sarah loves dancing, animals, photography, ice cream, and singing super obnoxiously, in no particular order.