Images of crystals for a media cover photo
Original photo by Ashley Ethier
Wellness

Crystals You Should Have in Your Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Crystal healing has been around for centuries and is used in a variety of ways. Recently though, it has been gaining larger recognition over large social media platforms. This has been allowing more people to get in touch with their spirituality. I have always found myself intrigued by the spiritual notion that is attached to crystals and finally decided to start investing in crystal healing. 

There are different ways to select a crystal. You can first identify a crystal that you’re missing in your life and then search for one that pulls you towards it. You can just begin by looking and if one catches your eye, it typically means it’s for you. Intuition is key. If you’re unsure about a crystal, place it in your left palm and if it vibrates, it means you need it. Through lots of reading and doing research, here are some crystals that I’d recommend having if you’re just starting your crystal collection.

1. Selenite

image of a crystal named selenite
Original photo by Ashley Ethier
Selenite is an important crystal to have in your home. It acts as a natural cleanser for all your other crystals, as well as charges them for use. This crystal has properties of purification and positive energy, so placing this crystal in your house near your other crystals will pick up negative energy and cleanse them. Note: do not wet this crystal as it will disintegrate.

2. Rose Quartz

An image of a crystal named Rose Quartz
Original photo by Ashley Ethier
This crystal is known for being the stone of love and compassion. This doesn’t necessarily mean romantic relationships though. This crystal offers physical and mental healing properties. Physically, it helps to improve the circulatory system to ensure strong heart muscles. Mentally, it offers more love to an individual, and it helps the individual create more love for themselves, which is why it’s recommended to place this on your bedside table.

3. Tiger’s Eye

An image of a crystal named Tiger Eye
Original photo by Ashley Ethier
Tiger’s eye is a powerful stone to use. It helps boost self-confidence and can help individuals shift their mindset when they’re in a slump to stay motivated and focused on projects. It focuses on getting rid of the anxiety and fear that the body has and even benefits one’s career and aspirations. This stone is good for combating seasonal depression and helping the individual out of a difficult time.

4. Amethyst

A picture of an image named amethyst
Original photo by Ashley Ethier
Amethyst is a crystal that offers so many different healing properties. Physically, it can help with headaches and with a better sleep schedule if placed near the bed or under the pillow. When using for spiritual purposes, such as meditation, it opens a higher sense of the mind and allows for a deeper meditation state to be achieved. Since the stone opens the mind, this then allows passion and creativity to shine through, strengthening one’s thinking process and intuition.

5. Citrine 

an image of a crystal named citrine
Original photo by Ashley Ethier
Citrine’s stone colour suggests that this stone is powerful; it is a stone that follows the sun, therefore, it brings people out of the darkness and into the light. This means that it protects people from any negative energy or darkness that they may be feeling. This stone is also often used for manifesting goals. It is said to bring forth wealth and success.

Crystal healing may take a while as there is always more learning to do. If you’re interested in starting your crystal collection, it is also good to gather books and overall research to expand the knowledge on the various ways that crystals can be used. Good luck with your crystal searching and remember: reflection and accessibility to yourself is the best way for the crystals to work.

Ashley Ethier

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Ashley is a third year double major in Sociology and English at Wilfrid Laurier University. In her spare time she enjoys reading, walking her dogs and enjoying the simpler things in life.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!