Life > Experiences

Crossing Items Off My Travel Buck-List: London Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I can’t wait for my exams to be over, mostly because I’m going on vacation two days after my last one! I’ll be visiting London with my family for a week in May. I wish I had more time, but I plan to visit as many tourist hot spots as possible to make the most of my experience. Here are a few destinations in London I plan to see. If you’re also thinking about visiting London, you may want to check these places out too

Tower of London
The Tower of London was once a palace, fortress and even a prison! It seems imposing, but the inside houses the crown jewels exhibition. As an avid fan of The Crown, I cannot wait to see the exhibit!

Buckingham Palace
Speaking of The Crown, what’s a trip to London without visiting Buckingham Palace? It’s probably most famous for housing the royal family and having tourists that annoy the Royal Guards. As excited as I am to see the palace, the fields surrounding it are equally as beautiful!

Westminster Abbey
I am obsessed with Gothic architecture and cathedrals, so Westminster is a must-see on my list. It is a medieval church that has been the center of royal weddings for decades. It is breathtaking on the outside so I can’t even imagine what the interior décor looks like up close!

The Globe Theater
As a literature fanatic, I can’t leave London without seeing Shakespeare’s Globe. Even though this structure is a reconstruction of the original theatre, it is meant to be a replica of the 17th-century dramatic viewing experience with a few modern additions.

Hyde Park (and Kensington Gardens)
If you’re looking for peace and quiet and a taste of nature, Hyde Park is the place to go! It is one of the biggest parks in London. It’s also near Kensington Gardens and the palace of the same name, which was once home to Princess Diana and now belongs to the current Prince and Princess of Wales.

Warner Bros. Studios
The movie set for the first Harry Potter film, The Philosopher’s Stone, is in Leavesden, London. Tourists can tour the former set and see props, costumes and sets used in all eight movies. Everyone that grew up reading Harry Potter, including myself, would love to see this set!

London Dungeon
I know this sounds more than a little morbid, but hear me out. The Dungeon has been reshaped into a tour site where visitors can see the events presented by live actors, special effects and rides. This is more a haunted house than a dungeon so I’m all for it.

This list is made up of just a few of the many things I want to see and do in London. I didn’t even mention any restaurants or shopping places, so I think I know what to add to my itinerary next!

Bhavya Jagdev

Wilfrid Laurier '25

Bhavya is a third-year BBA student at Wilfrid Laurier University. She loves to read (her favourite genres are fantasy and mystery) and spend a little too much money at Starbucks. She also enjoys travelling, spending time with her friends and family and (of course) writing.