Contraceptive Crisis: Debunking Birth Control Stereotypes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

It is 2017 and we are faced with the fact that birth control pills are still a taboo subject to talk about. There are many misconceptions and stereotypes that centre around birth control pills and it is time that we finally put it all out there. As women, we should be embracing the fact that we have the right to reproductive health care and it is something that is definitely worth talking about. Birth control pills are primarily seen as a means to prevent pregnancy, but there are many other reasons why people choose to go on the pill. So, stop judging and learn the facts!

Preventing Pregnancy

Yes. Birth control pills are one of many forms of contraception that are used to prevent pregnancy. The pill is not 100% effective and should be used with another form of birth control, such as condoms, as it does not protect against STIs.

Common Misconception:

Women are continually “slut-shamed” for using birth control pills. As if taking a preventive measure screams, “Yes! I sleep around with numerous guys and cannot control myself.”

For one thing, birth control is a personal choice, so really, who cares if someone is using it because they are in a long-term relationship or if it is for those occasional hook-ups?  WHO CARES? These women are taking control of their sex lives and who are you to judge what they are doing behind closed doors? Taking birth control pills does not make you a slut.

Menstrual Migraines

You know what sucks? Migraines. You know what is even worse? Migraines while on your period. Many women experience menstrual migraines as a result of an estrogen drop, so the pill helps control and alleviate some of the pain brought on by migraines.

Period Regulation

Birth control helps regulate your periods. Meaning, you won’t randomly start bleeding out of nowhere because your period decided that today is the day. Many women struggle with irregular periods, missing periods, or having numerous periods a month, so the pill can help regulate when it comes so that you have more control of your life!

Lighter Periods

YAY, because no one likes the fact that a period is basically a murder scene down south. Birth control helps with your flow by thinning the lining of your uterus. People opt for the pill just to have more manageable periods.

Cramps

Periods are often associated with cramps. For those who go on the pill because of them, you know that the pain is often excruciating and can affect your day-to-day life. Going on birth control helps to control the muscle contractions that occur during your cycle and helps ease the level of discomfort.

Acne

Combination birth control – meaning it contains both estrogen and progesterone – helps with acne control. Many people decide to give birth control a shot to help their skin because there are very minimal side effects and is worth trying to clear up severe acne.

LASTLY, because we have the right to make that choice!

If you’re on birth control, super cool. If you aren’t, also super cool. I am not here to say that birth control is something that is for everyone, but there are many benefits to the pill other than preventing pregnancy. Next time you’re talking about it with friends or family, make sure that you know the facts. Everyone has the right to make their own choices when it comes to contraceptives, and putting other women down is never the answer! Women empowering other women is powerful. Birth control does help in preventing pregnancy, but it is also an option for women dealing with any of the above issues and more!

Emma Grace

Wilfrid Laurier

Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.