A Collegiette’s Guide to Nighttime Safety in Waterloo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

As the winter season draws nearer, it starts to grow dark outside much earlier.  There is an ongoing concern for the safety of university students both on and off campus.  Another concern is the upcoming Halloween weekend, where many students are roaming the streets late at night intoxicated, and the risk of safety increases.

Unfortunately, safety is a concern almost anywhere, even in the heart of an urban campus. In 2011, a student was attacked and sexually-assaulted on Bricker Avenue, a street aligned with Wilfrid Laurier University’s campus.  A year later in 2012, another student was attacked by two men on the University of Waterloo campus, a school just down the street from WLU. Since then, various other incidents have occurred. Situations have even arisen on Hazel Street, a street right across from the entrance into WLU campus. Students need to be aware of what goes on in the Waterloo community, and educate themselves on how to deal with an emergency situation if the need arises.

On Campus

There are many resources available to WLU students in order to both prevent emergency situations from happening and to help you in the event that you are in need.  Foot Patrol is a volunteer service offered by the Student’s Union.  You can call ahead or stop by the office to have the Foot Patrol team walk along with you to your destination, whether alone or with friends.  It is always better to walk as a group than to walk alone.  Foot Patrol can be contacted at 519-886-3668, or at their office located near the WLU food court. There are also bright blue emergency poles set up throughout the campus, so that if you feel that you are in danger, you have access to contact a Special Constable to come assist with the situation.  Laurier’s Special Constable Service is open 24-hours a day, 7 days a week, so there is always someone available to help on campus in the event of an emergency. Special Constable Services can be reached at 519-885-3333. It never hurts to save this number in your phone as a safety precaution.  Their offices are located on King Street right beside Phil’s, and right outside the Fresh Food Co cafeteria on campus.

Off Campus

First and foremost, try to use the buddy system whenever possible.  Obviously, night class can sometimes be unavoidable. When you are walking or bussing home late at night, try to find someone who walks in the same general direction as you, or stick close to another group of people walking ahead or behind you.  Even giving one of your roommates a call as you are walking home can help prevent a situation from happening, and if something does happen your roommate is on the line and is aware that something is wrong. Also, make sure your roommates know when to expect you home. Be aware of your surroundings at night, and try not to give off the impression that you are nervous about walking home; projecting confidence in all situations is always beneficial. On your walk home, try to take main roads as much as possible. You are less likely to experience problems if there are bystanders around or lots of cars driving by. Last, take the time to plan out how you would handle various emergency situations so that in the event that you are in an emergency, you are not tied up on what you should do, and you can act quickly and effectively. 

Halloween Weekend                                            

Here are some basic tips on how to stay safe during Halloween weekend:

–  stick with a group of people until you are safely back home; if the situation arises that you have to make it back home by yourself, ask a friend if you can spend the night at their place

–  have emergency contact numbers saved in your cell phone

–  be aware of your surroundings

–  monitor your alcohol intake; alertness is always important  

–  dress warmly

–  don’t drink and drive; keep in mind that this is Halloween, so not only are there a lot of students roaming the streets, but there are also lots of children out trick-or-treating

Have a safe and Happy Halloween, Goldenhawks!

Veronica Puistonen

Wilfrid Laurier

Contributing Writer for the WLU Campus Chapter. Fourth year Honours Communication Studies student. 
Chelsea Birtch

Wilfrid Laurier

Chelsea is one of the Campus Correspondent's for the HC WLU chapter! She has a passion for writing and is an avid reader who aspires to be an elementary school teacher. As well as being involved with Her Campus, she is also a sister of the Iota Theta chapter of Alpha Phi.