A Collegiette’s Guide to an Everyday Makeup Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

The daily struggle of perfecting our everyday makeup routine is real for us collegiettes. We’ve spent years switching products in and out, changing up the order we put them on and fluctuating between what’s totally necessary and what isn’t, yet still struggle to have a makeup routine down to a science. If any of you are in this boat, Her Campus has got you covered with the steps to take, and best products to try to get you out the door looking flawless in 10 minutes!

The makeup industry is loaded with tutorials and products on everything from contouring, baking, and highlighting, but we’re here to help you with what we feel are the essentials for a fresh-faced glow. Looking awake and ready for the day doesn’t require hours or expensive products. Her Campus is here to streamline your morning and fill you in on the basics of an everyday makeup routine.

BASE

The best way to ensure your makeup lasts all day long is to start off with a great base! This is a step many collegiettes tend to skip but it is such a crucial way to ensure your makeup applies smooth and doesn’t rub off. We love the Too Faced Hangover FX primer for an everyday base to provide longevity and hydration.

FACE

BB and CC creams are key to an everyday face look. They add coverage and glow without being cakey or too full coverage for a daily basis. We love the It Cosmetics CC+ Cream or the Garnier BB cream for lightweight coverage that provides a dewy, fresh-looking complexion.

In terms of bronzer and blush, these steps are total add-ons to a basic routine. Bronzer creates a sun-kissed glow that is sometimes much needed in the cold, winter months! Blush is also a great add-on for adding a flush of colour to your complexion. We love NARS Laguna bronzer and NYX Desert Rose blush!

EYES

Mascara is a definite essential for an everyday routine. Of all the steps to take for your eyes, mascara is the quickest and most effective way to look awake and refreshed for the day. Maybelline Falsies and Benefit They’re Real are great options to get the long and voluminous eyelash effect.

Eyeliner and eye shadow are definitely not necessary for an everyday look, but the NYX Slide-On Eyeliner and Urban Decay Naked Basics palette are amazing pieces to have on hand for days when you want to take that extra step.

EYEBROWS

For those of you that were blessed with perfect brows, totally feel free to skip this step. Personally, I feel eyebrows are a must for an everyday routine but it honestly depends on what state your brows are in! For the girls wanting a little extra shape and structure, Anastasia Dipbrow or NYX Micro Brow pencils are great options.

LIPS

For an everyday look, we love using a lip liner and gloss to keep it simple and easy. Try Mac Soar and NARS Turkish Delight for quick, foolproof lip options that you can take on the go to touch up during the day!

There you have it, Collegiettes, a quick 10-minute makeup routine and all our favourite products to go along with it. It doesn’t take crazy techniques or top of the line products to look put-together in the morning. Keep it simple for yourself and narrow down your routine to something realistic and achievable in those early morning hours! Xo

Olivia Di Pede

Wilfrid Laurier

Olivia is a fourth year English major with the Management Option at Wilfrid Laurier University and a Style Blogger for Her Campus. In her free time she can be found taking yoga classes, scavenging Sephora and creating content for her personal lifestyle blog. She is a perpetual reader, frequent dancer and lover of the sea. Follow her on instagram @oliviadipede and follow her journey at http://oliviadipede.com
Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.