Campus Profile: Sheridan Mason

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

You can find her at the football games, or you may remember her from O-Week… Here is Sheridan Mason!

Name: Sheridan Mason

Age: 21

Birthday: April 28th

Year: 4th 

Program: Honours Communication Studies

Hometown: Whitby

Social Media Handles: Insta: shermason Snapchat: sheridanmason

Why did you choose Laurier? 

From the moment I stepped onto campus, I knew Laurier was for me. From the small community, to the aggressively loud Icebreakers on my first day, this campus felt like home. It is amazing that you can walk around campus and run into someone from your class or a friend from first year. The most captivating part of Laurier though was the spirit and the love that each and every single person at this school shows one another. From your very first day at school, you are taught why it is “great to be a Laurier Golden Hawk” and I get to experience that feeling every day that I spend here. 

What made you want to be an Icebreaker? 

In my first year, I was lucky enough to have some amazing Icebreakers that showed me the ropes of Laurier. They were constantly encouraging us to come out to events and embrace Laurier for all of its greatness. With the HUGE impact that they had on my university experience, I knew I wanted to do the same thing. Being an Icebreaker allows you to welcome first-year students to Laurier and ultimately show them how wonderful this place really is!

What was it like to be a Head Icebreaker? 

Being a Head Icebreaker is an amazing role. Similar to the role of an Icebreaker, it allows you to set the tone for your team. The Green Renegades definitely picked up the ROWDY tone that we wanted to set for the team. Although we don’t have first-year students, we get an amazing group of 84 volunteers to spend our week with. We become a resource for them to turn to and it is easily one of the most rewarding positions I have ever had. Being a Head Icebreaker is an incredible opportunity. 

What was your favourite part about O-Week? 

My favourite part about O-week is all of the amazing people you get to meet. Whether it is meeting first-year students that are thriving in the new environment or Icebreakers that maintain a constant energy for a solid 7 days, O-Week allows you to get to know an incredible group of people. 

Are you involved in anything else?

I’m Referee-in-Chief for Volleyball Intramurals, Promotions Coordinator for Laurier Athletics and Brand-Ambassador for Athletics and Recreation. I also play volleyball, dodgeball and ultimate Frisbee intramurals, and I’m one of the Captains for the Winter Carnival team One Minute Wonders.

What is your biggest accomplishment? 

My biggest accomplishment to date is learning to say the alphabet backwards. It took time and dedication, but I can now say that this is one of my very few talents. Bonus: I can also burp it backwards (sorry that may be a little TMI). 

Jaden Lundy

Wilfrid Laurier

I'm a girl who loves her food and also loves her dogs a.k.a my two favourites things in the entire world. 
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.