This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Name: Nicole Herchell

Year: 4th 

Program: Honours Communications Studies with a concentration in Visual Communication and Minors in Leadership and Women’s Studies

Hometown: Burlington, ON

High School: Nelson High School

WILL Position: VP of Corporate Relations 

Social: https://www.linkedin.com/in/nicoleherchell/ 

What is your favourite thing about being a Laurier Golden Hawk?

I love our campus and the Laurier culture. It’s small enough that you feel welcome but, big enough that you can meet new people every day. 

What has being a WLU Honours Communications student done for you as a student and young professional?

My program has taught me that the key to success is to be able to communicate effectively. People skills, reading, writing, verbal communication and presenting. Without these skills, you will not be successful in the workplace. 

What is your Starbucks order?

Venti Black Cold Brew… obviously. 

What are your personal goals after Laurier? 

After I graduate, although it’s a long shot, my goal is to land a job right away! With WILL, we help you build a network of people & develop your skills to help you land a job in the future. If I don’t get a job right away, I am hoping to attend Humber to do a postgrad in PR. I also want to be someone that Laurier students can look up to in the future. I hope I develop a career that will allow me to empower other women to succeed. 

If you woke up tomorrow and found yourself back in first year, what would you do differently?

If I was in first year again, the first thing I would do is get involved right away. Luckily, I landed this sweet position at WILL in my fourth year. However, if I had joined earlier, went to different events, and was more involved on campus, I would be waaaay ahead of the game. It took me up until about last year to be involved on campus, and it is SO much more fun. I have made so many new friends and have created a network for myself for the future (building a network is so so so so important). Her Campus & WILL are both great clubs to join if you are looking to do this! My main piece of advice would be: DO STUFF ON CAMPUS! We have a really cool campus, so take advantage of that. If you’re looking to get involved with WILL you can be a premium member for $15 or come to each event for $5! Visit our website (linked below) for more info.

What main clubs and/or organizations have you been involved with around campus?

In my third year, I joined Bridging the Gap Laurier as the Director of Social Media. I also just got hired at the Centre of Student Success as a uStart Peer Mentor, which I am super excited about. This year, as well as being a part of BTG and uStart, I am the Vice President of Corporate Relations at Women in Leadership Laurier!!

On a scale of 1 – PINK how much do you love Her Campus?

HOT PINK. Not only do they write amazing articles that are relatable to students everywhere, they also stand for the same values as WILL (“Influence, Empower, Achieve”). Her Campus also hosts exciting events that empower young women to be the best that they can be. 

Do you have a favorite Her Campus article?

Uhhh… yours! It basically told me to stop watching Netflix and to start watching Ted Talks… life changing. 

What advice would you give to Laurier students looking to get involved on campus?

ITS NEVER TOO LATE TO GET INVOLVED. Literally. Find a club that suits you and has the same values as you and find ways you can be involved with them. Go to events, apply to positions and aim high! WILL events costs $5 per event, and being a premium member gives you access to ALL of our events throughout the year for $15.

What was the first thing that caught your attention about WILL before you were a member?

The first thing that caught my attention was the title Women In Leadership Laurier, as obviously the club has the same interests and values as I do (peak my minors). We also have always hosted some amazing events that I’ve seen since I’ve been at Laurier, such as the annual Mentorship Lunch event and the WILL To Succeed Conference. Although this is only my first year at WILL, the women on the team have always been amazing leaders, students, and professionals to look up to. If you want someone to be inspired by… take a look at our AWESOME exec team. 

What specifically inspired you to apply to be an executive member of Women In Leadership Laurier?

Like I said, the organization is always something I have wanted to be involved with – no matter what the position. I was so nervous about applying for this VP position as I had never been involved with WILL before. However, I knew it was the position for me and I knew I’d be great at it. I had an awesome interview and immediately clicked with the co-presidents (Olivia Lewis & Victora Maistornni) and have LOVED being a part of WILL ever since.

What can Laurier students expect from WILL this year?

We have a lot of interesting and valuable events planned for this year. We had our first event last week that taught our members the skills necessary to network with professionals, and it was very helpful. In October, we are hosting a Mentorship Lunch which gives you a unique one-on-one mentorship experience with an industry professional in your field. Make sure you keep your eyes on our Facebook & Insta pages (@willaurier) to learn more about how to apply to the lunch! We have mentors representing BMO, RBC, CIBC, Unilever, and so much more. Also, follow us for more updates on our other events –  like our WILL to Succeed Conference with our keynote speaker Dr. Mary Donohue (watch her Ted Talks… also life-changing). 

If you could describe WILL and why you’re passionate about it in 3 sentences or less, how would you do that?

Influence, Empower, Achieve”. Break barriers, promote equality and inspire other women to do the same. 

In your experience, what has been the best part of being an exec with WILL?

People, people, and more people. Not only have I made some great friends (and hopefully future co-workers) on my exec team, I am also networking with different industry professionals daily. Constantly communicating with professionals + WILL members who are also passionate about women in leadership has helped me reach a personal level of success, and has allowed me to inspire and empower young women to do the same.

For more information on how to apply, support, or get involved with either of these inspiring clubs at Laurier, follow the Women In Leadership Laurier and Her Campus Laurier social media profiles:

WILL: Facebook, Instagram, Blog

HC: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat: @hcwlu

Emily Barrieau

Wilfrid Laurier

Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.