Campus Profile: Madeline McInnis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Meet the absolutely lovely Maddie, who dedicates so much of her time and passion to her involvement within the Laurier community. Learn more about how awesome she is below!

Full name: Madeline McInnis

Hometown: London, Ontario

Relationship status: In a Relationship

Year/Program: 2nd Year History and Film Studies BA+MA

Horoscope: Aquarius

Hogwarts House: That’s hotly debated, but I think I’m a Gryffindor!

Instagram: madmcin

1. What made you choose Laurier?

A whole whack of reasons! What it really came down to in the end is that Laurier made me feel valued. I wasn’t just a commodity – people genuinely wanted me to choose Laurier and made me feel like I was wanted beyond my money!

2. Best place to study on (or off) campus?

I am super territorial over this one cubicle on floor 6 of the library. If someone else has it, I’ll go to the solarium!

3. What are you involved with at Laurier?

I’m the communications director, an editor, and a reviewer for Laurier Undergraduate Journal of the Arts. I am the graphic designer for the Wilfrid Laurier University Harry Potter Alliance, as well as the VP Promotions and Social Media for the Film Society, a staff writer for Blueprint, and a general volunteer for Keystone. However, my true love (and what takes up most of my time) is that I’m the Opinion Editor for The Cord! 

4. Favourite thing about being a Golden Hawk?

This is such a cliché, but I love always knowing someone, no matter where I go. Whether it’s in class or just walking across campus, there is always a friendly face to see!

5. What do you like to do in your spare time?

What spare time? When I get a moment, I’m probably writing my next article or trying to fit in a class reading!

6. What do you hope to accomplish in the next few years?

My biggest goal since I was in high school is to go to either Oxford or Cambridge for history and art history. I also want to end up living in London, England!

7. Favourite comfort food to get in Waterloo?

China Legend in UW Plaza is my go-to: authentic food for cheap and there’s so much it’ll feed me for days!

8. If you could travel anywhere in the world right now, where would you go?

My go-to answer will always be London, but I’ve been really wanting to go to Florence to see the Uffizi gallery

9. Favourite quote?

It’s between “You can never be overdressed or overeducated.” – Oscar Wilde, and “Working hard is important, but there is something that matters even more – believing in yourself.” – Harry Potter

10. Fondest Laurier memory?

I lived in the Pirates of the Atlantic residence learning community in first year, so I got to go to Puerto Rico with my floor for a field course. While we were there, we kayaked through a mangrove swamp and my roommate and I sang the song from Pirates of the Caribbean 3, “Hoist the Colours”. That’s something that I could never replace, and I only got that opportunity as a Hawk Abroad!

11. What advice would you give to your first year self?

Why yes, everything is going by so fast, that’s why you have to make it count! Taking a minute to breathe is fine, but don’t be afraid to be so busy that the days start to fly. That’s how memories are made and it’s better than sitting and watching Netflix every night!

12. What are some achievements that you’re proud of?

There are a lot of things that I’m proud of, including winning OFSAA for archery in my grade twelve year, Dean’s Honours, and being a member of Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership. However, the one accomplishment that surfaces every day is being successful and thriving with my mental illness, not despite it.

Huge thanks to Maddie for giving us an insight into her busy, yet incredibly admirable and impressive life at Laurier. If you want to meet someone who is genuine, warm, and an all around fantastic person, then she’s your girl.

Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.