Campus Profile: Jacob Meleras

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Name: Jacob Meleras

Age: 18

Hometown: Ottawa

Program: Music

I had the opportunity to interview this first year student who had the courage to audition for Laurier’s upcoming musical Footloose! With his friendly attitude and sharp vocals, he was able to snag the role of Jeeter and Band Leader Bob.  Get ready to put on your dancing shoes and get to know Jacob!  

How are you liking your first year here at Laurier?

I love it here! When I first came to audition for the music program everyone was so friendly and welcoming, and that was one of the main reasons I chose Laurier. I believe the music program here at Laurier gives me an opportunity to be creative with my music, and my profs and other students in my program are so supportive and accepting when it comes to learning how to improve my music.

What made you want to audition for the musical?

I’ve always loved musicals. I started performing in musicals in high school and I was in choirs and am in a quartet so I love to sing.  I actually didn’t know there was musical happening here until a few of my friends saw a poster saying there were auditions and told me about it. I originally got a call back to play Willard, the lead’s best friend, only because they realized I had a higher voice range. I ended up landing the role of Jeeter/ Band Leader Bob so in the end it all worked out and I am so happy to have had the opportunity to meet new people and be in this musical.

Do you have a favourite musical?

I would have to say my favorite musical is definitely Hairspray! I loved the movie and I can watch it over and over again. My dream role would be to play Edna, who is Tracy’s mother. I just think she would be really interesting to play.

What are you looking forward to the most in the music program as you progress in your upper years?

I really like singing and I know that I will always sing. I can’t see myself ever stopping that, but I enjoy composing music as well. I think I will be specializing in the composition aspect of music, and I want to take more classes in exploring that part of music that I enjoy.

What genre of music do you want to compose?

The music composed in the background of video games always fascinated me, like playing Mario Brothers and Pokemon. When I was younger listening to the background music of the games was so enjoyable and I noticed the music was a big part of that enjoyment. My dream job would be to compose music for video games and in order to do that, I would definitely want to move for an amazing job opportunity.

Besides singing and dancing, do you play any instruments?

Yeah I do. I play the bassoon and a little bit of piano.

The musical is this Thursday, are you nervous to get up on stage and perform?

I know, its crazy! We’ve done so much rehearsing and so much preparation to get to this point. I am really excited but also nervous.

Do you think you will have a bit of stage fright the first night performing?

I started having stage fright when I was younger and it has progressed since I have gotten older, but I tend to become less nervous when I’m performing. I become less nervous when I know that the performance is not about me and instead it’s about doing well for the audience and giving them a meaningful experience.

It is clear that Jacob is passionate about Laurier and what they have to offer to musically-inclined students. I am so excited to see Jacob in the musical, and if you want to see him too, buy your ticket here for either Thursday Jan 19 (7:30pm), Friday Jan 20 (7:30pm), or Saturday Jan 21 (1:00pm) and come cut loose with Laurier Musical Theatre’s production of Footloose!

Photos courtesy of Jacob Meleras and Laurier Musical Theatre

Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.