Campus Profile: Eden Hennessey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Name: Eden Hennessey

Hometown: Cannington, Ontario

Program: PhD, Social Psychology

One word that describes you: Exuberant

What is something most people don’t know about you?

Before grad school I was a Canadian Idol finalist and my dad voiced the Care Bear character Braveheart Lion. CHARGGGGGGE!!!

What are you most passionate about?

Connecting with people about social issues and especially communicating ideas or research findings to others in creative ways. I think it’s important to take the knowledge we collect from research and share that with people who might not have access to peer-reviewed journals or academic platforms. In social psychology, we conduct research studies, analyse data, and then make conclusions. I really enjoy interpreting those conclusions and turning them into photo-research exhibits that present my dissertation findings in a visual medium.

(You can check out her exhibit here!)

What are you involved in at Laurier?

At Laurier, I am the current Chair of the Student Executive for the Laurier Centre for Women in Science (WinS). As a group, we host meetings and events aimed at increasing diversity in science and supporting research by and about women in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) fields. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter @LaurierWinS.

What are you involved in outside of the Laurier community?

Outside of Laurier, I travel with my photo-research exhibits and present to a variety of audiences in academia, industry, and the broader community. I also front a band that consists of several graduate students from Laurier and UW. In my spare time, I enjoy throwing theme parties, watching documentaries, anything in the arts, and community activism.

How do you balance being involved in graduate school, your photo-exhibits and music?

It takes some balance to juggle. It’s challenging to manage, but I really believe in living life to its fullest capacity. Social support and learning to practice self-care are extremely valuable. Also, a strong core.   

What gave you the idea of 49 mini marches?

This idea came about following the historical Women’s March in Washington on January 21, 2017. I attended a sister-march in San Antonio, Texas and was astounded by the enthusiasm to mobilize and impact social change. So I decided to embark on this social experiment wherein I would march every Saturday of 2017, wherever I am, and be open to having discussions outside of academic circles. My sister Skye and I co-founded the movement and we march together each Saturday as sister-activists.  One topic I study is collective action (actions people take to advance group status), so it’s really interesting to see how people engage with activists. To date, the response is overwhelmingly positive and I’m documenting every march as I go. You can follow along on Facebook @49minimarches or search the hashtag #49minimarches. Every week the location changes and everyone is invited to participate in some small action to show support.

What is something you are most proud of?

Challenging myself to learn and improve. I’m proud of finding a way to incorporate artistic expression into my academic work through confronting sexism in science. Combining these areas keeps me motivated to conduct research and share findings in unexpected ways.

Who inspires you?

Mentors, colleagues, younger students, friends and family. The person who sat next to me on an airplane recently – the women I met and marched alongside in San Antonio. I think each person we interact with is a chance to learn a story and be inspired.

Where do you see yourself in five years?

In five years, I hope to still be conducting research and creating photo-research exhibits. Where I am now is really enjoyable, so once my degree ends, I want to find a place where I can continue on a similar path.

What advice would you give to your first-year self?

I would tell myself to view challenges or failures as constructive. It’s just what learning feels like.  

Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.