Campus Profile: Courtney Collard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Name: Courtney Barbara-Ann Collard

Age: 20 -turning 21 this week!

Year: 4

Program: Communication Studies and Psychology with Women and Gender Studies Minor

Hometown: Aurora, ON

Photography credit to the wonderful Kha Vo of Khavography!

Favourite Saying?

I’m a huge control freak so the serenity prayer speaks to me on a level; “God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.”

On a lighter note, I pretty much work “twerk some” into conversations daily! So I would say that’s probably my personal mantra.

Favourite show to binge watch?

Keeping Up with the Kardashians – haters gonna hate, but I love them! There’s definitely a few more, but that’s my go-to.

Favourite study spot on campus?

The Science Atrium, especially in the evening when it starts getting dark.

Favourite bar?

Depends on the day, but I’d say Turret if I had to pick one!

In your past few years at Laurier, what all have you been involved with?

Since second year I’ve been an ice breaker, which this year, lead to being a head icebreaker (shameless shout out to the Blue Olympians- aou, aou, aou)! I have done Winter Carnival for the past couple of years and I am Co-Captaining the Gaelic family this year. I have also been involved in Powderpuff since first year and it is one of my favourite things about winter semester!

I have been involved in the Laurier Department of Athletics and Recreation since my second year- starting as a promotional assistant for football and basketball games, then taking the lead coordinator position later on! Last year, I was the Clubs Coordinator and the Student Engagement Team Leader for them, and this year I am still doing promotions for Football and Basketball as well as being the Marketing Coordinator. I’m also taking a rec dance class this year and I absolutely love the group exercise program! Safe to say I could save on rent if I wanted, because I pretty much live at the AC.

What has been your favourite part about being involved with the campus community?

I have two favourite things because I’m indecisive like that! I have loved being able to meet so many awesome people on campus and building relationships with them because there are just so many really special people here at Laurier. I have also been able to find out what I’m passionate about and what I want to do with my life and time so I’m very happy that’s come from being involved in various things at Laurier!

What is something most people don’t know about you?

My parents almost named me Dallas! My first job was at Lonestar Texas Grill. I had a call name, which happened to be Dallas so I still respond to it.

How would you describe yourself in three words?

Energetic, loving, squirrely!

If you could give one piece of advice to students new to Laurier, what would it be?

Leave your ego at the door; you can’t take yourself to seriously! If you’re willing to put yourself out there and have fun with it, you will get so much more out of everything you do here.

What is one thing you want to accomplish before you graduate?

If you’d asked me a year ago, I would’ve said being a head icebreaker! But now I guess it would be Phil’s Week.

What is a perfect day in the life of Courtney?

In a crazy world where this would be possible, if time and distance were not a thing: I would wake up, but be able to just hangout in bed for like an hour or two and be snuggly- maybe watch something on Netflix. Make a big brunch with my roomie Torey and have a glam squad come to do my hair and makeup for me.  I would then spend the afternoon going on some kind of adventure with a bunch of my friends- to go to the beach or a gun range or something. I love baking so I would probably come home and bake something fun while blaring music, because that’s the only way to bake/cook! Then I would squeeze in a nap for a bit (#NapQueen). In a perfect world, I would meet up with the Kardashians for dinner and go to Kanye’s show and be queens with them. Come home, get snuggly again, put on a show and fall asleep 10 minutes into it. This is perfection. Oh and there would be sangria throughout! We have loved getting to know you Courtney and wish you well in your fourth year!

Lauren Burnside

Wilfrid Laurier

Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem