Campus Cutie: Sydney Marshall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

On top of having a traveller’s heart, Sydney Marshall is extremely active on campus. Currently exploring the captivating culture in India, she took a few minutes out of her exciting trip to catch up with us. 

Name: Sydney MarshallProgram: Double Major in Christian Studies & Global Citizenship and SpanishAge: 21Year: ThirdRelationship Status: SingleHometown: Woodstock, Ontario

How are you involved at Laurier? I spend most of my time at Laurier in the Seminary. I am involved in the seminary choir, Inshallah, I participate in Wednesday night chapel services, and I also work as a TA for the Spanish department.

Outside of Canada and the U.S, where have you travelled to so far? Why do you like travelling?

I’ve travelled throughout Europe, spending three summers living and backpacking through Spain, I’ve lived in France for three months, studied Spanish in Costa Rica, toured through the UK and spent this past summer in Brazil with GYVN (Global Youth Volunteer Network). Right now I am in India touring, before heading to Spain for the next seven months. I will be doing a semester abroad at the University of Deusto in Bilbao, Spain. There’s so much I love about travelling! But my favourite is that I am able immerse myself in a new culture, learn a new language, and meet people from around the world.

What has been your favourite part about visiting India so far?

India’s been a whole new experience for me, especially since it’s my first time in Asia. The culture has had the biggest shock for me. The constant noise and chaos was a bit crazy at first, but I’ve learned to love it. I find it so exciting how you never know what to expect, whether it’s a seven hour train delay, three car accidents in twenty minutes or just the plain beauty of something so simple. 

If you could choose anywhere to travel right now with no restrictions, where would you choose and why?

I’ve always dreamed of going to Thailand! From the pictures I’ve seen and stories I’ve heard from friends, it sounds like the most amazing place.

What are your top three biggest values in life?

I believe in humbleness, positivity, and equality.

Who is your biggest role model and why do you look up to this person?

I’d have to say one of my fellow Golden Hawks, Michelle Owens. I met Michelle just after first year on a trip to Spain and Portugal. She’s had a big influence on my travels, by giving me ideas and encouraged me to travel with more of a purpose. She also gave me the idea of getting involved with We Day, which has also had such an impact on me. Because of her I have been able to meet so many amazing people with life changing ideas.

Favourite book, TV show and movie?

Favourite book: The Irresistible Revolution by Shane ClaiborneFavourite TV show: New GirlFavourite movie: Borat

Biggest pet peeve?

Ignorance.

Besides travelling, what’s on the top of your bucket list?

I’d love to go cave jumping, climb Machu Picchu and the obvious, skydiving.

Favourite place to go on a Friday night?

Beta!

What advice would you give to your first year self?

Don’t take German. Ever.

Where do you see yourself in ten years?

Hopefully I’ll have a job. Working in integration or immigration policy would be amazing.

This Golden Hawk definitely has a knack for adventure and exploring. Next time she is back on campus, make sure to ask her about all of her international experiences. We hope you enjoy your semester abroad in Spain, Sydney! 

Veronica Puistonen

Wilfrid Laurier

Contributing Writer for the WLU Campus Chapter. Fourth year Honours Communication Studies student. 
Chelsea Birtch

Wilfrid Laurier

Chelsea is one of the Campus Correspondent's for the HC WLU chapter! She has a passion for writing and is an avid reader who aspires to be an elementary school teacher. As well as being involved with Her Campus, she is also a sister of the Iota Theta chapter of Alpha Phi.