This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Meet Simona Petti, a third year political science student and a major foodie! You can find her volunteering around the school, or building homes with Habitat for Humanity. 

Name: Simona Petti

Nickname: Pettiiwap

Age: 20

Program: Political Science

Year of Study: Third

Hometown: Kleinburg

What is your favourite thing about Laurier?

What I love about Laurier is the welcoming and friendly environment. Campus is just the right size for getting to know so many amazing people, and it is easy to get involved in whatever you are interested in. I am pretty quiet myself, but the Laurier community is an inclusive environment that accepts all personalities, and I will always cherish that. Laurier allows people with any type of personality to enjoy their experience by giving them the opportunity to get involved with people that share similar interests.

What clubs/extracurriculars are you involved in at Laurier?

Over the past few years, I’ve been involved in intramural sports, such as soccer and volleyball. I have also played powderpuff football since first year, which makes the winter semester so much more enjoyable. Playing sports has always been a big part of my life and it really helps release stress when schoolwork gets overwhelming. Aside from joining intramural teams, the best decision I have made at Laurier has been joining WLU Habitat for Humanity. I joined Habitat in my first year as a general member and this year I organize fundraising events for the club. I’ve met so many inspiring people and I’ve had so many great experiences that I will always remember. If there were one thing I would suggest to anyone, it would be to join Habitat, or get involved in something that you can be passionate about, because there is nothing better than being part of something you love. 

What is Habitat for Humanity?

Habitat for Humanity is a nonprofit organization that increases homeownership to make sure everyone has a safe, and decent place to live. The experience of helping another family is life changing and a feeling that you will remember forever. 

What is your favourite trip you have participated in with Habitat for Humanity?

With Habitat for Humanity, we spent 35 hours together on a bus ride to Laredo, Texas and 25 hours to Dade City, Florida. There is no spring break that I would trade in for the long bus rides, learning how to build a home wearing jeans in 30-degree weather, and the overly competitive chicken nugget eating challenges on the ride home; some of us are more talented than others. Both trips have created experiences that were quite unique. Even though they were different, the passion that you experience by helping others is inspiring. My team and the individuals involved with the trip are what makes Habitat a lifetime experience. The trip to Laredo will always have a place in my heart, as it was the first experience I had with Habitat. The friends I met on the bus and those I met across the border will always mean something to me. I still keep in touch with one of the site supervisors that made my experience what it was by sharing his tough life stories with us. Habitat for Humanity is such an amazing organization and I am so excited for our trip to Birmingham, Alabama this reading week. 

What is your ideal dream job?

My dream job would be a lawyer for a non-profit agency. The reason I joined Habitat was because I have always loved being involved and helping others. After being part of it for so long, having these experiences, and making these memories, it has become more than just a club. I’ve always wanted to go to law school, but my end goal was always a little blurry. After joining Habitat, I realized this is the kind of work I want to do for as long as I can. 

If you could be any animal in the world, what would you be?

I would definitely want to be a dog because they have the best life. Although I love my little Shih Tzu, I would want to be a really smart dog like a Border Collie or a German Shephard. I would also love to have a really awesome owner that would feed me the best food (spoiler: see below for an endless supply of pasta).

How would you describe your ideal date?

As it is so accurately put in one of my favourite movies, “That’s a tough one. I’d have to say April 25th, because it’s not too hot, not too cold, all you need is a light jacket.” Miss Congeniality taught me more than just how to play music on wine glasses and punch an attacker. 

What are your biggest pet-peeves?

My biggest pet peeve is when people commit to something and don’t follow through with it. I grew up in competitive sports and was taught to commit to practices and other engagements, so when other people don’t do the same it really bothers me. My other pet peeve would be people who only do things for themselves and aren’t interested in doing good things for other people.

If you could have an endless supply of any food, what would it be?

Being Italian, my endless food of choice would most definitely have to be homemade pasta. With that being said, I give into French fries pretty easily, so it might be a toss up between the two.

What are three things on your bucket list?

Three things on my bucket list are to take a road trip with my best friends, go to law school, and to eventually work with Habitat for Humanity or another non-profit organization.

If you had to describe yourself using three words, what would they be?

In just three words I would say I’m compassionate, dedicated to doing what I love, and also a pretty good food connoisseur.

Interested? Questions? Wanting to get involved with Habitat for Humanity yourself?

If you are unable to commit your entire reading week to go on one of our trips, we also do local builds in Kitchener/Waterloo and you can find the dates for those builds on our Facebook page (WLU Habitat for Humanity). These builds are so much fun and we get to work with some amazing people. Send us a message and we will let you know how to get more involved! Every little bit counts. Whether you are donating books to our textbook drive, buying treats from our bake sale or coming to Alabama with us in February, we appreciate everything we can do together as a Laurier community.

Simona has a heart of gold and is definitely a model goldenhawk!

Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem