Campus Cutie: Sean Nishimura

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Sean Nishimura

Program of Study: Business with a Psychology minor

Age: 21

Year of Study: 4

Hometown: Aurora

Relationship Status: Lucky to be in love with my best friend

Meet Sean, Her Campus Wilfrid Laurier’s first Campus Cutie of the 2015-2016 school year! With a passion for first years and leadership, we get the scoop on how Sean’s been surviving after O-Week. Here’s what the face behind this years Gold Argonauts has to say about his experience as a Golden Hawk over the last four years.

What are you involved with on campus? Tell us about your positions and roles.

I’m a Campus Ambassador, giving tours of campus to prospective students and sharing my Laurier experience with them. I’m also a BU111/121 TA, facilitating weekly labs for first year business students. This past Orientation Week I was a Head Icebreaker for the Gold Argonauts.

What does being a Golden Hawk mean to you?

Being a Laurier Golden Hawk means being a part of a community where everyone is given the opportunity to grow as both a person and a leader. It means being a part of a family and supporting those around you.

Favourite Laurier memory thus far?

That’s definitely a hard question to answer! There have been so many great memories stemming from the amazing people I’ve met during my time here at Laurier, however if I had to choose I would say that my favourite is watching my first year students perform at their talent show during Orientation Week. That was a really inspiring moment for me that reminded me how valuable volunteer positions can be.

Do you have any goals you want to accomplish before you graduate? After you graduate?

Before I graduate, I would like to help foster leadership on campus and in the community in a way that empowers others to have as fulfilling of a Laurier experience as I did. I am so thankful to have had amazing role models help guide me through my first three years, so I’d like to pay it forward for the next round of Laurier leaders. After I graduate, I picture myself one day working in a setting that allows me to facilitate student leadership, maybe in a university.

How do you feel about graduating? Are you ready to face the real world?

I’m definitely not ready to leave Laurier – this place very quickly became my home and I don’t see that changing in the near future. In second year, I began thinking of ways I could stay here as long as possible. Now that I’m entering my fourth, the thought of leaving home is daunting and I’d do anything to stay another year!

If you were about to drop a mixtape tomorrow, what would it be called?

It would probably be called “Argonaut Entertained?” – I’m still very much in OWeek mode and I think it would be nice to give a shout out to my Gold Argo squad. I also love puns so the play on words is fitting.

You are leaving the bar and stopping to grab a bite…where’s your go to place?

It’s a toss up between Fat Bastard and Smoke’s – burritos are super filling but there’s something to be said about a true Canadian classic. Street meat guy at King and University coming in hot as a close third.

One food you could eat all the way through exams and not question it.

I’m a sucker for Sweet Chili and Sour Cream flavour Miss Vickie’s chips. They never fail to make an appearance (or 3) during the exam period. The combination of sweet and spicy flavour mixed with a beautifully coloured blue bag is too much to resist.

Who’s your spirit animal?

If I’m choosing an actual animal, it would be a monkey – I’m a big goofball and like to crack dad jokes or puns at every opportunity I get. I act professional when I have to, but if you get to know me you’ll know that I’m actually a 5 year old child at heart. Special spirit animal shout out goes to Demi Lovato.

If you could have unlimited supplies of one home cooked meal, what would it be?

I’d have to go with my Mom’s homemade broccoli salad. It’s weird to me that I’m answering this question with a vegetable based dish but I look forward to that every time I go home. It’s tasty, and I feel good about eating it! Just add broccoli, cheese, sunflower seeds, cranberries, mayo, bacon bits, and a whole lotta love.

Sean, we wish you all the best  and we cannot wait to see what you have in store for your final year here at Laurier! 

Elyse Mulhall

Wilfrid Laurier

Third year Communications and Global Studies double major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, ON, Canada. What you should know about me? Incoming Co-Campus Corespondent and Co-Editor in Chief for Her Campus WLU! Obsessed with all things surrounding: good conversations, good people, good food, instagraming and beyond. Like these things? I like you! Let's be friends? instagram @emulhs