Campus Cutie: Rob Collaton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Cutie, Rob Collaton! His kind heart, ever-present smile, and outgoing personality are only some of his great traits. Want to know more about this Golden Hawk? Then take some time and read what the hilarious Rob Collaton has to say about himself.

Name: Rob Collaton

Program: Psychology

Age: 23

Year: 5th

Hometown: Oakville, ON

Relationship Status: Single and ready to mingle!

Favourite bar: Phils

Favourite Wilf’s Night: I feel biased in saying Monday Open Mic Night, because I often perform, but they are always so much fun.

Favourite study spot: 2-4 Lounge

Currently binge-watching: The Blacklist

Last concert: The Black Keys, I won tickets on a radio show.

Favourite quote: I’ve often been caught doing a mean impression of Chris D’elia’s drunk girl impressions

What are you involved in on campus?

For the past four years, I’ve been an orientation week Icebreaker. I’ve also participated in Winter Carnival for five years, and was an executive for one of the years. I’ve also worked at Wilf’s for four of my years here.

How would you describe yourself in 3 words or less?

A fun time.

What made you get involved/become a breaker?

When I first started doing it, I didn’t really understand what it was or why people did it, but after experiencing my first year and my first years telling me how much I helped them – through things that I thought were nothing – it made me realize how important a first impression is for incoming students, which made me want to be apart of that experience every year.

What is the best advice someone at Laurier has given you?

Don’t dwell too much on your bad experiences you encounter; it’s the good experiences you will remember and you are only here for a short time, so make sure you make the most of your experience.

What would you tell your first-year self?

I had a really bad residence experience, so I visited my friends in Guelph every weekend and really didn’t give Laurier enough of a chance until second semester. So I would tell myself that it gets a hell of a lot better, and be more open to things and you’ll have fun. Don’t dwell on things.

What is your favourite Laurier memory?

Winter Carnival. In my second year participating, I was named Captain of my team because no one wanted to do it. Not only did we end up having the best time ever, but we also won the week. Meeting those people and having that experience with them was a surreal experience.

What has been your favourite class or who has been your favourite professor?

Bruce Mackay, drugs and behaviour. It’s not everyday that your prof will bring in tampons and say, “Let’s do an experiment.”

What is the most embarrassing thing that you have experienced on campus?

One of the events on Winter Carnival was how many lipstick kisses you could get all over your body. So there I was standing in the middle of Alumni Field, in my boxers, and my friend decided to pants me. In front of 500 participants… in the freezing cold…

What are you really bad at?

Besides school? *laughs* Procrastinating. I’m really bad at procrastinating, no matter how common that answer is.

What is your favourite thing about Wilf’s?

Just the vibe. Everyone I work with is just awesome, and they work around your schedule whether that is due to class, assignments, or extracurricular activities. Management is very understanding, which creates a family-type environment. You never hate coming to work.

Who would play you in a biopic?

Honestly, I think if Dave Franco and Ryan Reynolds had a love child and you slapped a beard to it, it would depict me quite well. Not necessarily looks-wise, but in terms of antics and dry humour. There’s a lot of stupid things that I’ve done – a lot of crazy antics that I find myself in – I just have to laugh at. Other people have told me that they find them amusing, and when they’re laughing at me, I usually can’t help but join them.

Which fictional character do you relate to most/has told your story?

Katherine Heigl in 27 Dresses. “Always a bridesmaid, never a bride.”

If you were to use a pick-up line, what would it be?

“Hey, I think you dropped something.” Then when she goes, “What did I drop?” I say, “Your standards; hi, I’m Rob.” *laughs* By using humour, I feel like it’s a better way to introduce yourself because it takes away the awkwardness. My dad always says, “They key to a woman’s heart is through laughter… as long as it’s not in the bedroom.”

What do you hope to accomplish in 10 years?

Hopefully not still be here *laughs*. Hopefully be in a relationship and in a full-time job, with my OSAP paid off. If I don’t have my OSAP paid off by 33…

How do you de-stress?

By making sure that I balance my schoolwork with my social life. Especially during exam season, it’s important that I give myself enough time to spend with friends. This way I can forget about school for a little bit, and then when I come back to work, I can do so with a fresh mind.

What do you think is the recipe for maintaining relationships? Platonically and/or romantically?

Well, I can’t help you on the actual romantic aspect because the things I do never seem to work *laughs*. I find with friendships, as you get older, everyone tends to get busy. You have to know that everyone has his or her own stuff going on, so if you can just make time and make sure that you’re communicating, then it’ll be okay. Communication is key!

Thanks for chatting with us, Rob!

Erin's top two pastimes would definitely have to be binge-watching tv shows, and binge-eating spicy salmon maki rolls. While both may sound incredibly basic, they bring her ultimate happiness.
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem