Campus Cutie: Lindsay Sinclair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Meet this week’s campus cutie, Lindsay! She is Laurier’s mastermind behind the recreational dance program and her passion shows in her answers.

Name: Lindsay Sinclair

Program: Psychology

Year of Study: 4th

Relationship Status: Taken

Favourite quote? “Obsessed is what the lazy use to describe the dedicated.”

What are you involved in on campus?

I’ve been involved in Laurier’s Recreational Dance Program run out of the Athletic Complex since first year. I started with a couple of classes and then ended up dancing close to 10 hours a week. I loved the program so much that I applied to instruct classes in second year, and now I have been teaching Advanced Lyrical at the AC for the past three years. This year, I have taken on the role of Dance Coordinator and joined the Athletic Complex Student Leader team. It has definitely been the highlight of my fourth year at Laurier. 

What is your favourite thing about being involved with Laurier’s dance program?

I can confidently say that my favourite part about Laurier’s Dance Program is the community. I grew up in a dance studio that was very close knit, so coming to Laurier and having that same atmosphere was exactly what I was looking for. My dance family has quickly become my best friends and some of my favourite people on campus. I also really like the inclusivity that the dance program embodies. I’ve been dancing for 18 years, so I thoroughly enjoy the advanced classes, but we also offer beginner, intermediate, and open levels. From Burlesque to Ballet, there really is something for everyone!

How has preparing for showcase been for you as the coordinator?

To sum it up in one word, it would be busy, but also really fun! There’s always a schedule to be made, a studio to be booked, or a rehearsal to run, but I’m lucky to absolutely love my job so it doesn’t ever feel like work. The dance showcase is my favourite day of the semester and something I look forward to, so preparing for it has been really exciting!

How do you handle such a large role while balancing other things such as school and social activities?

I have an outstanding dance instructor team this year so they play a big role in the success of the program. They are passionate and dedicated to not only dance, but specifically Laurier’s Recreational Dance Program, which is really important to me. Being the Dance Coordinator is a big responsibility, but having an instructor team that I can rely on makes balancing my other commitments easier. 

What or who is your biggest inspiration?

My biggest inspirations would be the women who have shaped either my love of dance or my love for Laurier’s Dance Program. I’ve had the same dance teacher, Marnie Palmer-Lang, since I was three years old, and she is still a huge influence and support system for me. She’s been a mentor and mother figure my whole life and is the person I can thank for inspiring my love of dance since the beginning. She’s in the audience at the dance showcases, so it’s really special to have the person who’s responsible for my love of dance see where it’s taken me. Others who are big inspirations to me are Laurier’s past Dance Coordinators, Angelica Meigs and Gabby Berardi. They both had a big influence in making this program what it is today and have been role models for me since first year. They have been incredibly supportive of me in my year as the Dance Coordinator, and I’m grateful to call them close friends.

When you’re not busy with dance and school, what do you enjoy to do in your free time?

Between dance and school, I don’t have much free time, but when I do, I’m a big Netflix fan. I’m currently re-watching Friends for the 100th time. Also, even though I manage the dance program, I’m also a participant in many of the classes. So when I’m not working, I’m dancing in the program. Right now I’m teaching Advanced Lyrical and taking Advanced Jazz, Advanced Contemporary, Advanced Open, and Burlesque. It’s nice to spend my free nights dancing and take a step back to just be a participant in the program.

If you could spend the day with anyone in the world, who would it be and why?

I wish I had a really cool answer for this question, but the truth is if I could spend the day with anyone in the world it would be Taylor Swift. I am a huge fan girl and have been since ‘Our Song’ era, so I would kill to spend the day with her. In October, my sisters and I got to be front row for her 1989 World Tour in Toronto at the Rogers Centre and it was an incredible show! I love that she is so genuine and still writes all of her own music, which I think is rare with artists today.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

After I graduate from Laurier in the spring, I’m hoping to pursue a career in primary/junior education, so in ten years I hope to be teaching in an elementary school. I also know that I will be involved with dance in some way. Ideally, I’d like to come full circle and teach at the studio that I grew up at alongside the teachers who have taught me my whole life. Dance has been the biggest thing in my life since I was three, so I know that I cannot live without it.

What do you hope to leave behind at Laurier?

I’m definitely hoping to leave behind the long nights of studying and waiting in the Tim’s line. I also hope to make a lasting impact on the dance program just as past Coordinators have and cultivate an atmosphere that encourages people to try out a dance class. Dance has had numerous benefits for me and I hope that other Laurier students can benefit from the art and athleticism of dance. 

Want to see what Laurier’s Dance Program is all about? The Fall 2015 Dance Showcase is Sunday, December 6th at 2:00pm in the Athletic Complex. Tickets are only $2 and can be purchased online at www.laurierathletics.com. Don’t miss out on seeing all the work Lindsay, as well as her instructors and dancers, have put into this show. This will be a performance you do not want to miss!

Lauren Burnside

Wilfrid Laurier

Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem