Campus Cutie: Jonathan Ricci

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Meet Jonathan Ricci, this week’s Campus Cutie. With his trademark million-dollar smile, he is by far one of the sweetest guys on campus! He had us laughing the entire interview, and he is so genuine with the kindest heart. This cutie isn’t just a pretty face, ladies. Want to learn more? Read on!

Program of Study: Political Science, minor in History

Year of Study: Third year

Hometown: Oakville

Relationship Status: Single 

Photo credit: Kha Vo Photography

How are you involved on campus?

I’m the Director of the Board for the Students’ Union. Being on the board and, in particular, representing the students, I’ve always loved representing people. I think that’s the reason why I got into politics, and through my years here that is what I will continue to do! I also serve as Vice President of Wilfrid Laurier Campus Conservatives. I am brother of Sigma Chi. I also sit on subcommitties for Students’ Union. I actually just applied to be an Icebreaker, and have made it through the first round! Life is busy; I literally look at my calendar all day and see what is next!

Why is getting involved at Laurier so important to you?

I think it’s the community feel, just seeing a lot of people everywhere involved whether it’s as an ice breaker, president of a campus club, or vice president. I think it’s very important and it adds to your learning. Getting involved, you’re working with people and it’s pretty remarkable to see how involved this campus is. As a member of the Students’ Union, you’re proud to see so many people get so engaged with the icebreaker process and Students’ Union, and they’re very caring. I’m proud to call myself a Golden Hawk; I know that’s a buzzword but it really means a lot. I remember walking in during O-week and seeing everyone was so passionate. It doesn’t matter what position, everyone was very welcoming and I’m proud to call Laurier home.

Favourite show to binge-watch on Netflix?

Archer, no question! I also like House of Cards, Suits, and The Walking Dead. The longest time I’ve spent watching Netflix in one sitting, I literally spent like a whole Saturday. I don’t go to the bar, my phone is going off, and I’m like nope! I make up excuses or straight up ignore my phone, it’s bad. Frank Underwood is talking, sorry.

What’s the most embarrassing situation you’ve ever been in?

I think it was my first time running an election; I was very red and embarrassed. I planned the entire speech, but when I got up there, I sunk; it was the Titanic going down! It was not pretty. My voice sounded weird and I think I recovered in the last 30 seconds. I felt like that kid in grade 4 trying to spell cornucopia at the spelling bee! 

Do you have any goals for before you graduate?

I just want to leave my mark, someway, somehow! I want to give back to the community as much as I can before I leave, in whatever position I may hold. I just want to bring more prospective students to the school. This place is very special to me. I’m happy I picked Laurier! 

What’s your superpower, or spirit animal?

If I had a superpower, it would be flying. I mean, why not? Have you seen these airport lines, all the people who don’t know what they’re doing? Customs is whatever, so I’m just going to go! Being able to fly yourself you could save so much money. Ricci why are you never here? No, I’ll make sure I’m there, then fly somewhere else! As for my spirit animal, I’m a lion. The leader, king of the wild!

It’s 2 am and you’re heading back from the bar hungry. What do you eat?

Smoke’s Poutine! I always want Smoke’s but, depending on my laziness, I will take pizza!

If you were a performing artist, what would you title your first album?

“Country Boy in the City”. I like country music, but I can’t call myself country because I come from a town of 180,000. The boy can be from the city, but you can’t take the country out of his heart!

What does it mean to be a Golden Hawk?

You wear that Golden Hawk with priede! My don was a huge influence for me to get involved. I think being a Golden Hawk is someone who is energetic, passionate in what they do, and that is what this school has. I’ve gone to a lot of different universities, and I have never seen one so involved. Everybody has their different attributes and what they want to do and are passionate. Laurier is a community.

Its confirmed ladies! He is 100% as charming as his smile. Next time you see him running between meetings, make sure to shoot him your best smile and offer to be his Saturday night Netflix buddy!

Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem
Chelsea Birtch

Wilfrid Laurier

Chelsea is one of the Campus Correspondent's for the HC WLU chapter! She has a passion for writing and is an avid reader who aspires to be an elementary school teacher. As well as being involved with Her Campus, she is also a sister of the Iota Theta chapter of Alpha Phi.