Campus Celebrity: Yash Parekh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Celebrity Yash Parekh! Yash is the president of Atrium Media Group, an on campus magazine that produces and shares the stories of the Laurier SBE community. Yash is passionate, driven and one of the absolute nicest guy’s on campus! Today is the official launch of The Atrium and you can pick your copy up at their public launch in the Atrium from 10 – 2 or at the magazine racks across from the SBESS club office.

Name: Yash Parekh

Year: 3rd year

Program: BBA with co-op option

Motto: Make parallels to what you have seen in the past, always make a connection! Everything comes full circle.Coffee or Tea: Interesting story, always coffee; people think once you work you’re going to want more coffee but I honestly drink a lot more tea now!

Favourite song to jam to: Hotline Bling – Drake

What’s your favourite thing about being here at Laurier?

So I grew up in Athens, Georgia, and the biggest thing you learn is Southern Hospitality. When I chose this school, I was originally stuck between three, but I came here for Orientation and everyone was super nice, it sold me! The family atmosphere is always present.

Tell us a little bit about The Atrium.

We capture the news, views, and culture of Laurier SBE, and we do it through our three main pillars: our core magazine that we release three times a year, we post three blogs a week, and we provide media services for SBE (photography, videography and live streaming). It’s actually the 25th Anniversary of The Atrium this year! I want to give every student in SBE a chance or platform to voice their opinion or story.

What inspired you to join The Atrium?

I joined The Atrium in first year. I went to the club fair and tried a bit of everything! I wasn’t the person who applied to everything, but I put myself on the email list. When I was listing pros and cons for each, the Atrium really stood out!

I always make parallels; back when I was younger and somebody asked me, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” I always thought Journalism. I liked that industry and I like the idea of a magazine and how it incorporates a little bit of everything! Marketing, finance, graphic design, and writing. That’s why I decided to join!

How has The Atrium impacted your life here at Laurier?

AMG is the one club that is technically part of every other club; our magazine is a reflection of every other club! We are trying to incorporate every other club so we get to learn their story and get to see what their events are like. AMG opened my network completely. I could always network but I hated doing it. Becoming part of every organization gets your name out there, so sometimes the people I want to network with approach me!

What does it mean to you to be a Golden Hawk?

I think it is that people go out of their way to help the school and community! That is why we are voted #1 in volunteering around the world. None of us are strategic volunteers; we do it out of the goodness of our  own hearts. It’s really selfless. It ties back to the loving, compassionate family atmosphere.

What’s the best piece of advice you have been given?

I was going to an event which was our annual general meeting for Microsoft Canada, where every employee in Canada goes to one location! I was sitting on the bus with a full time employee and he said, “I don’t care what you do, but every meeting you have, lunch, coffee, whatever you do has to have a purpose.” Make an impact. You might not be with that person later, but you’ll remember that story or moment. Small meetings mean something!

If you had to pick between being twice as smart or twice as happy, what would you choose?

I’m going to go with happiness. Being smart will get to a certain point, but happiness you will find in every small moment in your life! You will always be happy.

How would your friends describe you in three words?

Hardworking, compassionate, perseverance.

If you could be any super hero, who would you be?

Spiderman, and to be honest the only reason is Emma Stone. But honestly, Andrew Garfield  is my favourite Spiderman #UnpopularOpinion. Also, New York has special place in my heart!

What was your favourite year at Laurier and why?

Everyone loves their first year, but second year is the breakout year! It was the one year I put everything on the table. I made so many more friends and branched out! Second year was my definitely my favourite.

In your opinion, what’s one thing every Laurier student should experience?

I think everyone should experience Frosh Week. It’s so typical, but after first year it’s that moment when you come back and everyone is so happy! Great weather, your friends are all back in one place, and it’s just a big homecoming. 

Yash, we have no doubt there are amazing things in your future! We are super excited for your launch today and we wish you all the success in the world.

Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem
Elyse Mulhall

Wilfrid Laurier

Third year Communications and Global Studies double major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, ON, Canada. What you should know about me? Incoming Co-Campus Corespondent and Co-Editor in Chief for Her Campus WLU! Obsessed with all things surrounding: good conversations, good people, good food, instagraming and beyond. Like these things? I like you! Let's be friends? instagram @emulhs