Campus Celebrity: Sarah Lessard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Meet Sarah, President of Laurier Law Society, model for Laurier Fashion and Life Style Society, and dedicated foodie. When she’s not helping her fellow students prep for a career in law or strutting her stuff at the Laurier Fashion Show, you can find her checking out some of the coolest restaurants in Waterloo for her blog or coloring in her (adult) coloring book. Get to know more about this week’s passionate and charismatic Campus Celebrity!

Name: Sarah Lessard

Hometown: Waterloo

Major: Communications with the Legal Studies Option

Tell us about how you obtained your position as President of Laurier Law Society. As President of the club, what do you do?

This year, I was lucky enough to be promoted as the President of Laurier Law Society. In first year, I joined the club as a general member and became Vice President of Digital and Marking the following year. I then applied for the president position at the end of last year. I saw so much potential in the club and what it could be. I applied for an executive position because I was really passionate about the club and wanted to bring it to that potential. I believed that, with the help of the rest of the team, I could do that. I’ve got to give a lot of credit to my team; we have a great club this year.

As President, I delegate tasks to my department and help students make connections with professionals that they can potentially use as a mentor to help them build a future in law. I try to encourage club members to consider jobs in the law field outside of being a lawyer as well. There are so many jobs in the law field that many people don’t consider such as paralegals, law clerks, judges, mediators, legal securities, and people involved with human resources who deal with labor relations. I think it’s important for club members to not only limit themselves to be a lawyer, because, although there is a lot of prestige around being a lawyer, it’s not a job suited for everyone. Not to mention it’s a very competitive career option.

Why did you decide to join Laurier Law Society?

The main reason why I initially decided to join Laurier Law Society in first year was because I had an interest in a potential career in law. Also, I have some experience working in a law firm. Last November, I volunteered then worked part time as an administrative assistant at Harris Law, Personal Injury Lawyers. I did everything from running documents to the courthouse, corresponded with medical professionals, photocopying and faxing and other administrative stuff. This summer, I was hired full time at the firm and had the opportunity to work with some really great professionals and get some experience in the field. My boss gave me opportunities to draft documents such as settlement proposals, affidavit documents and various pleadings. Due to my background and experience in law, I thought I would be a helpful member to the club and teach others some of the things I’ve learned while working with other professionals in the field.

Also, another reason why I decided to join Laurier Law Society was because they were actually the only club that got back to me in first year. That’s why I try so hard now to get back to people in the club, or to those interested in joining within 48 hours. Through my own personal experiences, I believe it is unprofessional not to respond to emails. Also the more members in our club, the better!

What is the most rewarding part about being President of Laurier Law Society?

Definitely seeing students pursuing their passion and succeeding, and hopefully being a part of that in some way… sounds cliché, I know. Laurier law society tries to emphasize so much that it’s all about who you know. Networking is so important, so providing the opportunity for club members to make connections with professionals in the career field that they wish to pursue is very rewarding for me. I try to stress to people in the club that these are people who have interests and want to help you, and both parties benefit from networking. At the end of the day, most people want to see you succeed, so meeting the people who can help you do that is so important.

Tell us a little more about Laurier Fashion and Lifestyle Society and your part in it.

Laurier Fashion and Lifestyle Society is a club that is geared towards students with a passion and knowledge in the areas of fashion and beauty. We run a student fashion show every year to raise money for charity. Last year, we had a show in March called “The Answer to Cancer Fashion Show” and donated around $1000 for the Canadian Cancer Society. This year, we hope to match that amount or hopefully raise some more money for the association.

Last year, I was the Senior Fashion Show Executive. Unfortunately, this year, I’ve been a little bit busier with Laurier Law Society so I’m just a model in the show. The club is a really fun time and a great way to bring students together. It also gives the opportunity for local clothing boutiques in Waterloo to get some more exposure and feature their lines. Also, if students have created their own lines and clothing, we will showcase them as well.

What is Pour and Pair? What is one of your favorite restaurants that you’ve featured on the blog?

Pour and Pair is a food blog that one of my close friends and I co-created. We aim to mainly feature good restaurants in the Waterloo region, but we have blogged about some of our other favorite restaurants in other places as well. We reflect on and recommend particular beverages (typically beer) and food that these restaurants offer. It’s basically just a nice way for us to go to these places and hangout, and hopefully provide some helpful suggestions to people looking for cool places to spots to check out. It’s also a great way to promote local businesses, because the people who we know live in the area and go to school in Waterloo. Also, most of the places we feature aren’t big franchises or chains but are mostly independent businesses.

I have a lot of favorites that we have featured on the blog, but two of my favorites are definitely Proof and Beertown. I may be a little bit biased because I worked at Beertown for a few years, but they definitely have a great selection of beer, great food, and it’s an awesome environment and layout.

How do you balance your extra curriculars and school? Do you ever feel too overwhelmed?

I certainly feel overwhelmed a lot. I’ve actually struggled with ADHD for a while and I have to admit it can be an ongoing struggle of mine. Because of this, I’ve learned to make use of my notes and write things down to keep me organized. I had a note pad last year, which I carried around everywhere, as well as three different calendars so that I could get everything in my face and visualize my weekly schedule. As soon as anything comes up, I have to write it down. I also make a lot of ‘to do’ lists and always put a couple of things which I’m in the process of finishing, so that I start with a sense of accomplishment when attempting to tackle a long lists of tasks, rather than immediately becoming anxious and getting overwhelmed.

What do you do in your spare time?

Recently, I’ve been trying to get back into shape a little bit so that I can hopefully run another marathon. Last April, I ran for Saint John Ambulance and finished the marathon in two hours and ten minutes, which was really empowering for me because it was for such a good cause. Also, I purchased an adult coloring book this year to de-stress and I’ve been doing that a lot in my spare time, which is weirdly a lot of fun. Other than that, I try to make plans with my friends and catch up with the people in my life as much as possible.

Thank you Sarah for making time in your busy schedule for us! For all of you interested in law, make sure to check out some of the Laurier Law Society’s upcoming events: Careers in Law (without going to law school) on Tuesday November 17th 6pm-8pm (CC-101 In the Career and Development Centre), and Industry Night on Thursday November 19th 7pm-9pm at the Huether Hotel.

Email Sarah at laurierlawsociety@gmail.com if you’re interested in attending these events!

Mikaela Holder

Wilfrid Laurier

Mikaela is in her third year of Communications studies at Laurier and is excited to join the Her Campus team as a writer this year. Her favourite pastimes include binge watching Grey’s Anatomy or The Mindy Project with her new kitten, Maisy. When she’s not attending to crazy deadlines, she enjoys searching out charming coffee shops, wood fire pizzerias and making fruity cocktails and sangria for her friends. She is a hard worker and very determined when it comes to pursuing the things she loves… like searching for the perfect heeled bootie.
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem