Campus Celebrity: Rachel Ruston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Meet Rachel! The vibrant Laurier alumni that’s STILL taking Laurier by storm! We got a chance to catch up with Rachel and see what life after Laurier has to offer. 

Program: BA Psychology with Sociology Minor

Year: Alumni!

Hometown: Military Family – Currently Oromocto, New Brunswick

Relationship Status: Falling more in love with my best friend every day

Motto: Love yourself and the world will follow!

Describe yourself in three words.

Passionate, Driven, & Fun-Lovingly Cheesy (That’s a word, right?)

What made you decide to come to Laurier?

I fell head-over-heels in love with Laurier when I stepped foot on the campus during March Break Open House in grade 12. Being part of a military family, I’ve lived many places from Ontario to the East Coast so when I was looking for a university, finding that “home away from home” feeling was essential. The welcoming atmosphere, enthusiasm, spirit and close-knit community at Laurier drew me and I instantly knew I had found my home.

What were you involved in during your time here at Laurier?

I was involved in a variety of different things starting in first year where I lived in Conrad, and was a part of House Council. On House Council I was the Arts Laurier and IRC (now known as WRC) rep. I was/still am a member of Alpha Phi Women’s Fraternity throughout my time at Laurier; VP of Programming and Development in 2012 and Chapter President in 2013. Shout out to all my sisters! I finished my 5th and final year as a Campus Ambassador for the Welcome Centre as well as a Residence Life Don for KSR 2 South and Arts Laurier/WRC Advisor. Ultimately, starting and ending my university experience in Recruitment and Residence Life!

How does it feel to have given 100 Campus Tours over the course of one year?

It was a pretty surreal experience! I never thought I’d actually get there but when I’m passionate about something, I love to push myself beyond what I think I can do. However, the job itself is something anyone can easily fall in love with, you get the amazing opportunity to impact so many potential first year students, some of whom might decide to choose Laurier all because they met you. I also laugh and think about how all of those people within those 100 tours had to listen to all of my corny jokes (I think I’m pretty funny…).

What do you think is the most challenging and rewarding part of being a recruiter?

To give a little context, myself alongside my team will be dispersed throughout Ontario visiting over 700 high schools and telling students why Laurier is SO great – That in itself if a little bit of pressure. We also recently finished 6 weeks of intensive training – You want to know about a program? We can tell you all about it! But for the next 3 months we’ll all be travelling alone, living in hotels and experiencing places we’ve maybe never been. The recruiter position is like campus ambassador on steroids. My job is to get high school students interested in Laurier, once they visit the campuses, I can guarantee our close-knit community will do the rest. Overall, I think the experience will be both challenging and rewarding all mixed into one but I can’t wait for it all to start. First stop, Windsor! #inspiringliveswithrachel

What does being a Golden Hawk mean to you?

As cliché as it might be, being a Golden Hawk means I have a family and I will be part of this vibrant community for the rest of my life. I think anyone who visits our campuses (Waterloo & Brantford) can agree that there is something different about us. Maybe it’s the purple and gold running through our veins, the terrific faculty & staff in every department or the overwhelming enthusiasm for volunteer experiences outside of the classroom. Our overall university is experience is one of the best in the country because our students are passionate, supportive and every single person is going to encourage you to pursue the things you love. A community like that is hard to come by, that’s why we’re called Golden Hawks.

If you could go back in time, what is one piece of advice you would give your younger self, entering university?

“Haters gonna hate and potatoes gonna potate,” hahaha just kidding!

I would say the next 5 years are going to be the best years of your life, you are going to meet so many incredible people and do so many wonderful things – Most importantly, let this be a growing experience. University is about discovering who you are and who you want to be. It all starts by being yourself.

As a recent Laurier alum, what are you most excited for the upcoming year?

Transitioning from being a student to being a real human in the working world is something I’m going to have to get used to but I honestly can’t wait to finally have my own place (hopefully in the coming year). You know you live in student housing when none of your dishes match because you and your roommates have all contributed, your furniture is second, third and or even fourth-hand and all of the food you buy comes in either a can or a box, hellooooo KD! Soon I’ll get to be my own interior decorator – Bring on Adulting 101.

Who is a non-politician you wish would run for office?

My girl, T-Swift! She’s taking over the world one album and hairstyle at a time… I’d be on her killer bad blood team any day!

What is one thing you will never do again?

There’s one thing I may never get to do again but I know I’ll miss! Binge watching Netflix for a week straight over reading week and winter break. Because in reality, did anyone ever really “read”?

Guilty Pleasure?

Ice cream or desserts in general, I have an enormous sweet tooth! I’m the type of person who will plan my meal at a restaurant based on the dessert menu. If there are great dessert options, I’ll choose a lighter entree choice – I need to make sure I’ll have enough room, obviously!

Rachel we wish you all the best and cannot wait to see what new and exciting challenges you take on next! First stop Laurier, next the WORLD!

Elyse Mulhall

Wilfrid Laurier

Third year Communications and Global Studies double major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, ON, Canada. What you should know about me? Incoming Co-Campus Corespondent and Co-Editor in Chief for Her Campus WLU! Obsessed with all things surrounding: good conversations, good people, good food, instagraming and beyond. Like these things? I like you! Let's be friends? instagram @emulhs