Campus Celebrity: Lindsay Helmers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

This collegiette is definitely leaving her mark on this Laurier campus, in more ways than one. We agree that Lindsay has the total package, from her double degree, her dedication to others success in both being a TA and a Don, and her contagious laugh that puts you at ease. This Golden Hawk is simply outstanding!

Program: BBA & Financial Math

Year: 5th

Hometown: Waterdown

Relationship Status: Single

Zodiac Sign: Libra

What have you involved in?

I was a RLC don in my second year as well as this year, a BU 111 and BU 121 TA in my fourth year and currently now in my fifth. In second year, I was a math Instructional Assistant, and I did the OCOA trip to the Dominican after my first year, which included building houses and community in the Dominican. I was on the Lifeguard team in my first and second year, and played soccer intramurals as well as played on three MLSB teams.

Which MLSB team was your favourite?

I don’t know if I can say, someone is definitely going to get mad. Okay, but the best team was Mel’s Red, but I can’t say that it was always the most fun to be on.

Why did you choose Laurier?

I didn’t really know what I wanted to do after school so my cousin said that you should pick the school rather than the program, but I loved the Laurier co-op program so I could try a bunch of things out to see what I liked. My top two choices were Laurier and Dalhousie, but I decided it was better to not go to the other side of the country. It was the small community feel, which was what I loved.

Favourite Laurier memory?

I don’t know if there is just one, because I have had so many fun times here. Homecoming is always my favourite time of the year. I don’t think I have had a bad Homecoming. Starting from first year, we forgot to buy tickets, so we camped out and me and my floor mates traded out standing in line and getting each other Tim Horton’s while we waited to purchase tickets.

What’s your dream day?

Waking up early, because I can’t sleep in as I feel I am wasting my day. Going to a yoga class with a friend, then grabbing lunch somewhere cute, or a picnic lunch could work too. It would be something with friends and family the rest of the day. My family is into games so either bocce ball outside or euchre if it’s a rainy day, and there would probably be ceasers involved, extra spicy of course!

Who inspires you?

This one goes back to the little boy I met in the Dominican. He would help out when we were building houses in the day, and he would teach us Spanish and we would teach them English. He told me his dream was to move to Canada to live a better life, and to do so he had to learn English. He would walk two hours each way to go to high school every day, so in total, four hours of walking just to get that.

It just makes you think about how much you take for granted. How we have a ten-minute walk from off campus to get campus and we complain. He was a big inspiration for the way I think about things and I am grateful for all the opportunities that I am given here. He is pretty big impact in my life.

Where do you want to be in ten years?

Ten years, oh geez I will be old! I would like to definitely have my CA, CPA and have a career I enjoy and to have definitely started a family.

Favourite ice cream flavor and toppings?

I always try something new, but my favourite always depends on what I am in the mood for. I could go for chocolate everything or maybe vanilla with fruit on top.

The best thing to do on campus?

Wilf’s Trivia with a big group of friends!

Top three things you look for in a guy?

Confidence, a nice smile, and chivalry.

What’s your go-to fashion staple?

Definitely my sock bun because it’s the easiest hairstyle that takes zero time and looks professional.

What would your first album be titled?

“Don’t Listen; Your Ears Are Going to Hurt.” 

Lindsay is true gem and we loved sitting down and hearing about all the ways that she has been involved on campus and to hear her incredible laughter. What we heard is really true, life IS better with Lindsay in it.

You can typically find katy cuddled up with her favourite blankie, under the twinkle lights, drinking some peppermint tea and listening to Ben Howard. She spends her evenings switching between gushing over wedding videos and catching up on some Gilmore Girls. She loves her little nephew, everything knit, & all things with sparkles. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier.
Chelsea Birtch

Wilfrid Laurier

Chelsea is one of the Campus Correspondent's for the HC WLU chapter! She has a passion for writing and is an avid reader who aspires to be an elementary school teacher. As well as being involved with Her Campus, she is also a sister of the Iota Theta chapter of Alpha Phi.