This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

You may have seen her on campus looking simple and chic in a gorgeous dress and stylish handbag. Kate is the founder of her own fashion blog, and has been involved in the Fashion & Lifestyle Society club on campus for many years. With her unique and captivating style and graceful manner, she is definitely a Goldenhawk worth appraising!

Name: Kate GibbField of Study: Honours Communication Studies

Tell us a little about yourself.

I have been modelling for fifteen years, which has been an amazing experience, but my philanthropic efforts are far more interesting.  For eight years in my hometown of Stratford, Ontario, I was an administration volunteer for the United Way and a leisure coordinator with the VON (Victorian Order Nurses).   I am passionate about helping others in need, as well as fashion and food.  I recently learned how to cook a few Japanese dishes, which is perhaps my favourite cuisine as of late.  I am interested in art, architecture, design, commerce, and personal style.  Effortless chic is my approach to style and is showcased through my eponymous personal fashion blog.  I am a lover of all things luxurious yet simple in design.  Essentially, I feel that we all should cultivate a personal style that reflects our interests and lifestyle choices.  Perhaps there is a chic minimalist inside you!

What are you involved in on campus?

I was the senior sponsorship chair of the WLU Fashion and Lifestyle Society on campus for four years, and I left the post this year, as it is my last year of my studies.  The WLU Fashion and Lifestyle Society is an amazing club on campus, and it not only provides an amazing opportunity for young women to connect on fashion, but also it provides an opportunity for community involvement and engagement.  Together with the support of an amazing team of regional, local, and corporate sponsors, which we collaborate with annually to put on the WLU Answer to Cancer Fashion Show, the WLUFLS has helped raise over $16,000 for the Canadian Cancer Society. It was such a pleasure to be part of this amazing on-campus club for four years, and this year is also amazing so check them out online on Facebook at the WLU Fashion and Lifestyle Society or on Twitter.

How would you describe your personal style?

Effortless chic is my approach to style, combining all things luxurious yet simple in design. I feel personal style should reflect one’s interests and lifestyle, therefore mine is very simple, luxurious, elegant, and feminine.  I like to mix high and low; that is, Chanel with H&M, new with pre-owned. It is all about balance and finding the right clothes that suit your shape and make you feel amazing. My personal style is unique, but I think if you experiment with different styles, patterns, and colours you will find the perfect style that is your perfect match.  My personal style has not changed much in the past ten years, and I have been wearing some of the same pieces for ten years.  Like a good love affair, once you find the right one, why would you want to change? 

Where is your favourite place to shop in the KW area, and what are some chic and affordable clothing stores you would recommend to other Golden Hawks?

Honestly, I do not shop that much. I have a lot of lovely pieces of clothing already, but if I do I like to shop and support my friends’ businesses which I think are amazing with offering chic and modern pieces at an affordable price.  My favourite shops are Meow in Guelph, Meow Boutique, Le Prix Fashion and Consulting, Winners, and Patina Vintage.  I would also recommend these shops to my fellow Golden Hawks.

What do you admire most about the fashion industry? 

I really admire how the fashion industry is a place where you can pursue something that is creative, while applying business knowledge to build brands.  I really enjoy branding, and how individual clothing lines from mass market to luxury are creating unique identities and communities for themselves online through social media. Today, the fashion industry is very democratic and it is about communicating your brand to the public in order to generate interest, a customer base, and sales for retailers and designers.

What inspired you to start a fashion blog?

A Chic Minimalist was a place that I created in my Bricker residence room five years ago as a way to express myself.  I have always been passionate about fashion and it has been a pleasure to see how my brand has developed online over the past five years. I think in life if you want to try something you should just go for it, as you never know what will happen, and that is what I did.

What is one fact about yourself that people would find surprising?

Well, this usually surprises people:I am quite boring. I have never been to a music concert of any kind, and have never owned an iPod. I also do not wear make-up every day.

Don’t forget to check out Kate’s blog here for fashion advice and ideas from one of the most stylish students on campus! 

Veronica Puistonen

Wilfrid Laurier

Contributing Writer for the WLU Campus Chapter. Fourth year Honours Communication Studies student. 
Andreia McLean

Wilfrid Laurier