Campus Celebrity: Hillary Weppler

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Being a Campus Ambassador is no easy job. It’s the first impression prospective Laurier students get of Laurier’s campus life, this job Hillary Weppler pulls of flawlessly. Hillary is currently the Senior Ambassador of Communications and future Ambassador Coordinator. A personable individual, a lover of puns and, Beyoncé, Laurier can rest easy knowing that this girl is representing our school well.

Name: Hillary WepplerProgram: Archaeology and Classical StudiesYear: 4Hometown: Tara, ON

Why did you get involved with Campus Ambassadors?

I got involved with the Campus Ambassadors for a variety of reasons; my first introduction to the position was through my Ice Breaker, Allan. I was coming back from breakfast with my floor mates one September weekend in first year and saw Allan giving a tour and I remember thinking he was doing the coolest thing imaginable. I immediately texted him and was like “What is an ambassador and how can I become one?” Through Allan I learned about the incredible team of Ambassadors I could work with and everything that the team does outside of just giving campus tours. I love being involved in my community and sharing my experiences with others, so the idea of being able to do this and be a part of an amazing team was exactly what I was looking for. Plus, being an Ambassador means getting a really cool jacket.

Meeting so many potential Laurier students and families, do you have any interesting stories from your time being an Ambassador?

Being an Ambassador means meeting a lot of unique people so of course I’ve got a few stories!

I’m fairly clumsy so giving campus tours can be a pretty dangerous endeavour for me. Normally I hold it together and can navigate the tour without too much trouble, except for last fall. Last fall I was giving a campus tour and managed to trip over my own feet while walking across Alumni field. Just as I was about to hit the ground a father of a prospective student caught me. We finished the tour without any other accidents, thank goodness! But, when the Welcome Centre Coordinator came into the office on Monday she found a voicemail from the father who caught me! The voicemail was really great complimenting Laurier and the Ambassador Tour Program, my favourite part of it was how he said I was able to make his daughter fall for Laurier. Some people just have a way with words.

What’s the best part about being involved at Laurier?

The best part about being involved at Laurier is making so many connections with others. If I hadn’t become involved at Laurier I wouldn’t have met so many amazing people and really made lasting friendships with them. Making connections with others is vital to having a great Laurier experience.

What’s your favourite memory from your time at Laurier?

My favourite memory from my time at Laurier is from my trip to Jordan the summer between my second and third year. I worked with my professor Dr. Foran and two other students during a study season for the Tell Madaba Archaeological Project (TMAP). Not only was this an amazing learning experience, it was a once in a lifetime cultural experience that I got to share with one of my best friends! We spent the weekdays working with ancient artefacts as well as travelling around the country exploring places we had learned about in class. What I find most unique about this trip is that we were fully immersed in the local culture; we became friends with people in the community, even attending weddings of some of our neighbours! One of the most memorable parts of the trip was finding out that I resemble a celebrity from the Arab world. It was like the Lizzie McGuire movie whenever I left the house! I was asked for pictures with people at tourist sites we visited, and was given special treatment at shops and restaurants.

As a senior student, do you have any tips on how to survive Laurier, and Waterloo?

My biggest piece of advice for surviving thriving both at Laurier and in Waterloo is to just “do you”. One of my closest friends and I have a habit of giving each other advice about things by just saying “you do you”. At first the advice sounds a little passive but when you think about it it’s actually pretty great advice. You do you means do what’s best for you or what you want to do. If you want to join the Comic Book Association, do it. You want to go explore Uptown? Do it. “You do you” gives you a chance to get out of your comfort zone and routine too! Treat yo self to anything that interests you, and really – do you!

Also, keep a calendar…

In your opinion, what’s one thing every Laurier student should experience?

Every Laurier student should experience the joy of making a genuine connection with one of their professors. My department is fairly small. Getting to know my professors isn’t difficult, it’s intimidating at first but once you get to know them you’ll find professors are actually pretty cool people! I love being able to go chat with my professors about school or even what’s happening in our lives.

And everyone should experience a really good night at Wilf’s with friends.

If money didn’t matter what would be your ideal job?

My dream job is working at a museum. I would love to be able to spend my days surrounded by history and finding unique ways to teach others the importance of heritage. I could go on forever about how much influence museums have had on my life, but I’ll just keep it short and say that I’m my happiest when I’m at a museum or heritage site.

What would want to be remembered for?

For being a traveller, not a tourist. (And a lover of puns)  

Tim Horton’s or Starbucks?

Veritas! Their cider is delicious!

Thanksgiving or Christmas?

Christmas! It’s the season of joy and Christmas movies!  

Team Britney Spears or Team Christina Aguiliara?

Team Beyoncé!

Chelsea Birtch

Wilfrid Laurier

Chelsea is one of the Campus Correspondent's for the HC WLU chapter! She has a passion for writing and is an avid reader who aspires to be an elementary school teacher. As well as being involved with Her Campus, she is also a sister of the Iota Theta chapter of Alpha Phi.