This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Meet our campus celebrity; the lovely Gillian Geremia! When she isn’t killing it on the rugby field, breaking it down at the Turret, or posing for Kha Vo, you can find her enjoying good food and good company locally or abroad! We got to catch up with the friendly and fabulous Gillian to see what she’s been up to this term.

Program: BBA, Co-op Option

Age: 20

Year:  4th

Hometown: Newmarket  

Go-to bar: Phil’s and Turret

Something on your bucket list: Ski the alps

Guilty pleasure: Imgur

What have you been involved in during your time at Laurier?

Not sure I will remember everything but I have been a part of the BEST (yes I may be biased) school clubs and groups that this beautiful school has to offer. I was the VP of Marketing and Com. for ELMAC’s House Council back in first year. I’ve been a volunteer/member for ARK Laurier, Habitat for Humanity and Laurier Letterman.  I played on the best Powder Puff squad Go Deeps, I spent a summer playing baseball through MLSB, I am an exec for Laurier Sales Association and I’ve spent almost every day of the last 3.25 years playing/training as an athlete on Laurier’s women’s rugby team.

What has been your greatest accomplishment at Laurier?

I won a dance battle at the Turret a couple of times, does that count? But in all seriousness, being able to manage my crazy busy life while continuing to be the happiest version of myself. It gets stressful a lot and I don’t always get enough sleep, but managing co-op, rugby, school clubs, friends and family has been an accomplishment that I am super proud of!

What are you passionate about?

Good question! I am passionate about a billion gagillion things. A few big ones are pretty casual like changing the world, friends, sports and food. I am still trying to figure out how I want to change the world but it is something I think about almost daily. I love to surround myself with good people and there is never a shortage around Laurier and at home. Sports is a given, I have loads of energy and am very competitive so it is only natural. Food…well to say the least I never go anywhere without snacks. 

What is something that people would be surprised to find out about you?

That is a hard one. Well if you look far enough back on Facebook sometimes my friends find out that I was Galadriel in a Lord of the Rings play back in grade 12. I had to be possessed as per the book/movie (hello LOTR fans) and I was really into character. It was the best play I’ve ever been in so I’m not embarrassed but it is pretty entertaining.

*Sorry Gillian….we had to share the picture.

What’s your happy place?

The fridge. Self-explanatory really.

What advice would you give your first year self?

Keep doing what you’re doing. Time flies when you are having fun/are stressed out of your mind. Also, do NOT put your face against that door post Chad Brownlee concert, you will chip your tooth and look like a hillbilly!!

If you could have unlimited supply of one meal, what would it be?

STEAK with fries. Holla holla. If there is a drink included with this deal I would also say a strawberry milkshake. Too blessed. 

What are you looking forward to in your final year at Laurier?

Ouuuu definitely my exchange to China! Travelling in a new continent where I know none of the language is a challenge I can’t wait to face (thank god for google translate). I am looking for a good culture shock and I can’t think of a better place to go. Also FOOD!

Looking back at the past four years at Laurier, what is your favourite memory?

Oh my, there is about a thousand great memories. BUT I had an amazing trip to Texas with Habitat for Humanity that takes the cake. I met the most amazing people, got an opportunity to help out some families that really needed an extra hand and learned how to dominate the nail gun (way too fun).

What is one goal you would like to accomplish before you turn 25?

Start building the Gillian Empire. I have big goals and dreams so I want to get some of the big ones rolling as soon as I graduate.

Describe your perfect Saturday.

WOO this one is easy. Okay so picture this. Wake up without an alarm (the little pleasures), kill it with my team on the rugby pitch, then celebrate with some good food, friends, and of course beer. Then I’m definitely feeling a steak dinner, a few dance moves at Phil’s, some post bar pulled pork poutine, and you’ve got yourself one happy Gillian.

Gillian, you’ve accomplished so much during your time at Laurier and we can’t wait to see what’s in store for you in China, and beyond! 

Pareesa Bina

Wilfrid Laurier

Pareesa is a fourth year Business student at Wilfrid Laurier University. When she isn’t studying or writing, you can find her lane swimming, reading a good book on her hammock, or browsing the lipstick aisle at Sephora. She loves to "wine and dine" with her best friends, travel and enjoy a daily dose of Earl Grey tea. Pareesa lives for good puns, a good laugh and good company. 
Elyse Mulhall

Wilfrid Laurier

Third year Communications and Global Studies double major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, ON, Canada. What you should know about me? Incoming Co-Campus Corespondent and Co-Editor in Chief for Her Campus WLU! Obsessed with all things surrounding: good conversations, good people, good food, instagraming and beyond. Like these things? I like you! Let's be friends? instagram @emulhs