Campus Celeb: Elyse Lavoie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Meet Elyse, head instructor of fitness classes at Laurier Athletics and Recreation. If you’re a weekly attendee of the Bootylicious or Bootcamp classes in the AC, she’s the little girl with the big personality at the front of the room, teaching the class! Between helping her fellow peers get their booties in shape and balancing a heavy work load in Kinesiology, we managed to catch up with this gorgeous Campus Celeb to get to know a little more about her.

Name: Elyse Lavoie

Program: Kinesiology minoring in French

Age: 20

Year: 3rd

Hometown: Markham

Relationship Status: Taken

Favorite TV show to binge watch: Scandal

Favorite study spot on campus: 5th floor library

Favorite bar in Waterloo: Dallas

Favorite music artist: The Paper Kites

Favorite fall wardrobe piece: Blanket scarves

What are you involved in at Laurier?

This is my second year as a fitness instructor with Laurier Athletics and Recreation. Last year, I taught the ‘Bootylicious’ and ‘Muscle Pump’ classes at the AC. This year, I was promoted as head instructor and help organize training for all the instructors as well as evaluate their performance once per term. I also teach ‘Bootylicious’ and ‘Bootcamp’ fitness classes three times a week, which are moderate to high intensity classes that focus on muscle toning and cardio.

At the beginning of the semester, I also had the opportunity to run a partner Bootcamp class on alumni field in order to promote the program. It turned out to be really successful and there was a great turn out! 

Why did you decide to join Laurier Athletics?

Being a kin student, I’m passionate about exercise, health, and athletic training. I’ve also been involved with sports and dance from a young age through lessons and at my high school, which has a great athletics department. In first year, I took a kin course in Group Exercise and was recruited to be a fitness instructor with Laurier Athletics. From there, I got certified through CanFit Pro at the end of first year and started teaching my own classes the following semester. This was really exciting for me because I love to work out, and I was excited to share some of my knowledge about exercise, nutrition, and how to improve your overall wellbeing and health.

What is your favorite class to teach at the gym? Tell us a little bit about this class.

My favorite class to teach at the gym is definitely Bootylicious. Bootylicious is a new class that was only introduced a few years ago, so I feel really lucky to be a part of it. It’s a female only class that is geared towards lower body and core strengthening. It’s really fun and high energy and is a great way to relieve some of the stress associated with school while building your booty!

What are some of your favorite songs to work out to?

I’ve obviously hopped on the Justin Bieber bandwagon lately and have been playing “Sorry” and “What Do You Mean” almost religiously in class. I also love to play remixes of popular songs for all my fast paced exercises. I love using remixes of Beyoncé, JLo, and Iggy (who are all powerful women who are known for their great booties). I also like to change things up with themed playlists some classes. I’ve done boy band only playlists as well as Britney Spears, badgalriri, and Beyonce. 

How do you stay in shape in between your busy schedule?

As busy as I may get with school and my jobs, I try to get out to the gym a couple times a week. Luckily, I can get a good work out in while instructing my classes. I also take two dance classes a week at the AC with Laurier Recreation. This year, I’m taking lyrical and burlesque classes, which have been great so far. I recommend these classes for all retired dancers out there. They’re a fun and different way to get a great work out and to de-stress.

When it comes to eating well, I’m not perfect, but I definitely try to eat a lot of fresh and whole foods at home, rather than buying meals on campus or elsewhere. I eat a lot of veggies, eggs, and a lot of salads… mostly because they’re quick and easy because I’m usually on the run.  

You’re such a hard worker. How do you stay motivated in school?

To be completely honest, I do get overwhelmed pretty easily. My boyfriend usually gives me a daily pep talk to calm me down. A lot of my motivation comes from the support of my family, friends, and co-workers who I am so thankful for. They keep me going when my stress levels start to get to me.

What do you like to do in your spare time?           

Unfortunately, I usually don’t have a whole lot of spare time. But when I do, it’s usually spent sleeping, scrolling through Pinterest, online shopping, or planning trips. Recently, I have been spending a lot of my extra time planning a backpacking trip in Italy this April with my boyfriend. 

What are your plans after you graduate?

Right now I’m still a little undecided about my future plans. I’m hoping to pursue a Master’s in either Recreation Therapy, Occupational Therapy, or studying Nutrition. Although I’m not sure exactly which route I want to take yet, I know I want to be in a position of helping people through following a healthy life style, whether it be through physical therapy, fitness promotion, or training.

Thank you for taking the time to sit down with Her Campus Elyse! Girls, if you are looking for a fun way to get some exercise, make sure to check out some of the awesome fitness classes at the AC during the week. As a weekly attendee, I definitely recommend Elyse’s Bootylicious classes on Thursdays and Sundays. Be prepared though; although these classes are considered low-moderate intensity, you still feel the burn (especially the next morning).

Mikaela Holder

Wilfrid Laurier

Mikaela is in her third year of Communications studies at Laurier and is excited to join the Her Campus team as a writer this year. Her favourite pastimes include binge watching Grey’s Anatomy or The Mindy Project with her new kitten, Maisy. When she’s not attending to crazy deadlines, she enjoys searching out charming coffee shops, wood fire pizzerias and making fruity cocktails and sangria for her friends. She is a hard worker and very determined when it comes to pursuing the things she loves… like searching for the perfect heeled bootie.
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem