Budget Friendly Activities You Can Do This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

It’s that time of the year: the leaves are changing in colour, the weather is getting cooler, football season has arrived and holidays such as Halloween and Thanksgiving are right around the corner. Between all these holidays, the price of hosting events or going to them can be quite costly, especially as a university student. However, there are many fall activities that you can enjoy that won’t put a huge dent into your wallet. Below are some ideas of things you can do with your friends and family this fall season.

Host a Football Watch Party

Invite some friends over and ask them all to bring their favourite dish with them while you put the football game on. You can put a projector outside or in your backyard and get some lawn chairs and blankets out to remain socially distanced. Not a football fan? Grab your girls and your favourite wine and put on the latest season of The Bachelor.

Host a Pumpkin Carving Contest

Hosting a pumpkin carving contest is a great way to catch up with your friends, listen to some fall music and allow yourself to be as creative as you can! You can host it in your home, driveway, backyard or even a local park. Ask everyone to bring a pumpkin and some carving tools with them. Once everyone is finished, you can put a poll up on your Instagram or Facebook story to get your friends to vote on their favourite pumpkin. You can even make some delicious pumpkin pie with the leftovers!

have a bonfire

If you or someone you know owns a fire pit, this a super cheap activity you can do with your friends and family while enjoying the fall weather outside. Try roasting some s’mores and go around telling your favourite scary stories. You can also put a speaker outside and play some Halloween music ,like Michael Jackson’s Thriller, to get everyone in the Halloween spirit.

Watch a movie outdoors

While the weather is still nice, watching a movie outdoors is a great way to get some fresh air while still doing something relaxing. Grab your laptop or a projector and a white sheet to project your movie onto and set up some lawn chairs and blankets on the grass. Get your favourite snacks and drinks, make some fresh popcorn and put on your favourite fall movie. Some suggestions include Halloweentown, October Sky, Practical Magic and Coraline. Sometimes changing the location of an activity is all you need to spice it up.

There is no reason you need to be spending hundreds of dollars going out to enjoy this fall with your friends and family. You can host many activities like a football watch party, a pumpkin carving contest, a bonfire or an outdoor movie. With some nice weather, music, delicious fall treats and good company, you can easily make this fall a memorable one!

Julie Hanna

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Julie is a fourth-year business administration student at Wilfrid Laurier University. She is also pursuing a minor in environmental studies. She joined Wilfrid Laurier's Her Campus in the Fall of 2021 to pursue her childhood dream of becoming an author. When she is not writing, you can find her working out, playing the piano, spending time with friends and family, and trying out coffee shops.