Breaking the Stereotype of the “Plain” White Tee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Every campus girl has at least one plain white tee, if not multiple, in their wardrobe. They sit in our drawers, often overlooked for their simplicity, as we search for our most stylish pieces. We are in a serious denial of how endlessly versatile the plain white tee can be! It is the chameleon of t-shirts and is able to adapt to any occasion, season, or mood. What more could a girl ask for?

We must break this stereotype surrounding the plain white tee and realize it does not necessarily need to be “plain”. Taking the five extra minutes to add a simple accessory can totally transform this basic piece into a fabulous and put together outfit. It is a clean, crisp slate ready to be styled, accessorized, and sparkled to your heart’s desire! Lo and behold: 6 tricks to styling the “plain” white tee.

#1: The Knot

A simple way to add visual interest to a plain white tee is through knotting the bottom of the shirt. Not only does this add a casual, bohemian vibe to an outfit, but it also shortens the hemline to cinch in at the waist and create an hourglass figure.

#2: The Statement Necklace

A statement necklace creates an immediate elegance and class to any simple outfit. It will become the focus of the plain white tee and attract attention with its bold details. The statement necklace comes in many styles from a subtle sparkle to glam shapes and beads.

#3: The Stacked Necklaces

A recent jewelry trend is layering dainty, gold jewelry, and there is no better canvas to show off this look than the plain white tee. Each necklace looks delicate on its own, but stacking them creates a statement sometimes even bolder than a chunky necklace.

#4: The Scarf

The patterned scarf is a must-have during the back to school season. Scarves are a timeless accessory and an easy last-minute addition to enhance an outfit. It is super adaptable and can be tied in different creative knots and designs to show your own personal style.

#5: The Baseball Hat

If jewelry isn’t your style, a baseball cap can add a sporty yet chic appearance to the plain white tee. It can be a bold pop of colour or even a secret way to hide the inevitable bed-head when rushing to class.

#6: The Layered Look

Layers are perfect to have on hand during all seasons, but especially with the autumn chill arriving in the next few months. Colourful cardigans and cozy knits are simple and fun to layer on top of the plain white tee to completely revamp an outfit, while also staying warm.

So next time you’re in search of the perfect outfit, pull out that not-so-plain white tee and add your favourite accessory. You’ll be surprised at how long you’ve gone without appreciating its versatility and the countless ways it can be styled!

Olivia Di Pede

Wilfrid Laurier

Olivia is a fourth year English major with the Management Option at Wilfrid Laurier University and a Style Blogger for Her Campus. In her free time she can be found taking yoga classes, scavenging Sephora and creating content for her personal lifestyle blog. She is a perpetual reader, frequent dancer and lover of the sea. Follow her on instagram @oliviadipede and follow her journey at http://oliviadipede.com
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem