photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Breaking the Cycle: Stepping Up and Reaching Your Goals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

With the semester quickly coming to an end, and final exams approaching, you can look at life in one of two ways. The first option involves seeing this impending situation as stressful and difficult, as the end of the road; the second, more positive view, is seeing this as a fresh start —  not the end of the road, but the beginning of a new one. As the school year comes to an end, and so does the schoolwork, you now have more time to work on your personal goals and ambitions. 

One of the most popular goals that university students have today is becoming more physically active and fit. When balancing classes, schoolwork, any extracurriculars, work and a social life, it’s hard for students to find time to exercise. The chance to improve your fitness is now! With school ending, you have more time available to plan your workouts and actually execute them in the gym! In addition, more time can be put into consideration of what you’re putting into your body. 

An important factor that goes along with not only fitness goals, but reaching any goal you might have, is collecting enough motivation to actually follow through with your goals. One way to do so includes writing out your goals, which also holds yourself accountable for such goals. Writing out what you want to achieve, how you plan on achieving it and documenting your progress allows you to see how far you have come once you achieve said goal. 

Another way to maintain your motivation throughout your goal-setting process is to celebrate small victories along the way. Make sure that you acknowledge the steps you are taking to get to the big goal in the end — motivating yourself to continue. In addition, you must realize that this will not be a positive linear progression — there will be ups and downs — but you must learn to forgive yourself and take your failures as a lesson to do better next time. 

Whether your goal is to become fitter, more outgoing or to save a certain amount of money, now is as good a time as ever to begin. Stop telling yourself tomorrow, next week or next month, and start taking the steps towards your goals now. As much as reaching your goal will be celebratory, the process towards it will be too! 

Alexia Presciutti

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Alexia is a WLU student majoring in Kinesiology.
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.