This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Hi, my name is Maddy and I have something to confess: I am a makeup addict.       

There, I said it. Thank you for letting me get this off my chest. Despite the fact that I am aware of this problem, I still continue to buy makeup — and since I am admitting this to you all, I should probably tell you about one of the biggest enablers to my addiction: Boxycharm.

Boxycharm is s subscription box company that sends out four or five full-size beauty items every month, with each box valued at over $100. Every month they have a different theme with a variety of products.

For about $35 Canadian, you can get your money’s worth with the amount of products … Or do you? I signed up for Boxycharm about a year ago and have quite a few thoughts about it whether or not it’s worth it to sign up for this subscription service.

It’s Great for Trying New Products and Brands

I’ve gotten to try a bunch of new products and brands that I really enjoy! I usually only buy products that are from main retailers like Sephora, Ulta or Shoppers, so it’s been really great to be able to try out some indie or online-only brands that I wouldn’t normally order from. It’s also gotten me into some products I never really bought before, like primer and brow gel.

Get Ready for Repeats

These aren’t exactly the exact same products from the exact same brands, but let’s just say I have a huge stockpile of mascaras and lipsticks. Not that this is always a bad thing, as I now have a backup stash of mascaras, but that’s not something I run out of very often so having ten in the back of my drawer seems a bit excessive.

I Now Have a Million Purple Lipsticks

Now, lipsticks on the other hand are not always my thing. Perhaps it’s just that I’m an eye girl. I can never have too many eyeshadows or eyeliners or mascaras, but I now definitely own way too many lipsticks. Boxycharm doesn’t have the option to personalize or pick your own options yet (although they say they hope to eventually) so sometimes you end up with shades you’re not so fond of. For me, that means somehow having a million lipsticks in varying shades of purple that I will likely never wear.

There are Some Real Winners … And Quite a Few Losers

Almost every box I have received has had at least one great product in it. Last month I got a Better Than Sex mascara which is a cult favourite, in January I got a beautiful Tarte palette and I’ve had some other really great products over the year. Sometimes the whole box is amazing, and other times it’s just meh, filled with products that I’m not interested in, aren’t my shade or are just not great — it can be a gamble.

Is Boxycharm worth it? I hate to be this person, but it depends.

If you’re looking to try a lot of new products or build your collection, it can be great. If you’re a makeup connoisseur and just want more more more, then yes, do it.

There is definitely a downside: your collection can get out of control fast. I have a lot of makeup right now that I don’t like or use, and it takes up a lot of space. Some months it can feel like a waste of money, and other months it feels like winning the lottery.

One upside is that you can become popular with this. I pass on a lot of makeup I don’t like/want to my friends and family. I think my mum’s makeup stash has doubled since I signed up for this subscription box, since I give her so much. Another option is that, if you know you don’t want a product and leave it unopened, you can donate it to a women’s shelter for someone in need.

At the end of the day, there are pros and cons to all subscription boxes, but if you’re a big makeup fan then this can definitely be worth checking out.

Madeleine Prentice

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeleine is a fourth-year double English and Medieval and Medievalism Studies major at Wilfrid Laurier. She spends the majority of her time rambling about makeup, memes, and medievalism. On an average night, you can find her snuggled up with her cats watching Netflix and browsing the latest trends on social media. 
Madeline McInnis

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeline graduated from the BA+MA program at Wilfrid Laurier University in 2020. In her undergraduate degree, she majored in Film Studies and History with a specialization in film theory. She later completed her Master's of English degree, where she wrote her thesis on the construction of historical memory and realism in war films. If you're looking for a recommendation for a fountain pen or dotted notebook, she should be your first line of contact.