Booty-Call to Boyfriend: How to Turn that Hook-up into a Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

So you’ve found a guy that actually doesn’t suck for once and you’ve definitely caught the feels. Don’t Panic! I’m here to give you a crash course on how to turn that late night weekly hook-up into the exclusive relationship you’ve been waiting for.

1. Be straight and honest with yourself

Do you really want a boyfriend right now or is a hook-up every now and then all you need? Before committing to getting this guy, be sure to really think it through and make sure: 1) it’s what you want, 2) the person is who you want as well. Ask yourself: is this just sexual or is there a stronger connection?

2. Make Future Plans

Try making plans for the future that don’t involve sex. Maybe he mentions a food place he’d love to try, or you saw a commercial about an upcoming movie. It can even be as simple as cooking dinner together so you don’t have to eat alone. 

3. Engage on Social Media

This does not mean stalking him until you’ve seen every childhood vacation he’s been on (although I know you probably already did that). This is more of a show you’re interested play. If he is big on social media, always posting new pictures on insta, or sharing cool things on Facebook, be sure to throw him a like. When your name pops up on his notification list it’ll be sure to make him think of you. If you are feeling a little more ambitious try leaving a comment that will definitely get you noticed. Don’t forget to add him on Snapchat since  it’s the key to flirting.

4. Leave Something at His house

This is a super simple technique to try. Choose something not too important but still something he can see doesn’t belong in his room. Some examples of this are a tank-top, socks, your sweater, hairbrush, etc. – if you are feeling a bit more risky you can even leave your undies. Then text him saying something like “omg I totally forgot my bra at your place, mind if I come get it?” – first of all it’s going to breakup the routine of only going to his house at the same time, and secondly, it’s an excuse to get you over there again.

5. Tease him a little

For me, this is how you know if I like you. I’m usually a sarcastic b*tch but I’ll be extra sarcastic and flirty with someone if I’m into them. Teasing him about something cute or funny that he does will be sure to get his attention, not to mention maybe even get an inside joke going between the two of you.

6. Change up your routine

Instead of going to his place every Saturday after the bar, try switching it up. Don’t be afraid to mention you have other plans but are available after your night class Thursday or Sunday afternoon. This forces him to tell you if he wants to spend time with you apart from booty calls in the middle of the night. Another way to change things up is texting. Yes, it will be hard not to text him right away like you always do, but trying waiting a bit – chances are he’ll text you or if you text him a bit later he’ll be pleasantly surprised to see you are still thinking of him.

7. Stay Guarded – don’t assume he feels the same

Before you jump in feelings first, remember, just because you’re falling for him doesn’t mean he feels the same. This can be a harsh reality to face so stay guarded with your feelings until he says he feels the same way…because that’s the only way you will really know.

8. Look at the signs

Pay attention for little signs that point to him wanting to keep you around. Some common signs are:

He has introduced you to more then two of his close friends and/or family

– He doesn’t mention his ex very often

– You/he stayed over for breakfast and didn’t hop out of bed and leave immediately after sex

– He has made it clear that you are the only one he’s seeing (DUH, this is a huge sign)

-He has mentioned something to do with the future (again, DUH, huge sign)                       

9. Have an honest conversation about being exclusive and what you would like to see happen.

I know that sometimes being this upfront with someone can be scary and you have no idea what the other person will respond with but it’s the easiest way to get a straight up answer. Some ways to do this is to ask: “are you seeing other people?” “Are we exclusive?” or “ I was wondering if you wanted to try the whole exclusive thing…maybe see where things go?” If in doubt the “lets see where things go” line is a lifesaver because it’s casual but also hinting at the fact that you wouldn’t mind keeping them around a little longer.

Wishing all you colligates out there the best of luck with your booty-call to boyfriend endeavours, hope these tips help you along the way!!

AJ H

Wilfrid Laurier '19

stay smiling
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem