This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

As hard as it is to believe that 2018 is finally coming to an end, the holiday season is finally upon us. It’s a constant blizzard outside, meaning that everyone’s more than glad to skip class and stay cozy in bed all day — watching Netflix, of course. So, to prepare yourself for what might be the longest, darkest and coldest winter in a few years, here are a few movies to keep you company.

New and Upcoming Releases

The Nutcracker and The Four Realms – The actress who played Renesmee in Twilight is all grown up and starring in her own highly anticipated movie!

The Holiday Calendar

The Grinch (2018) – The new animated rendition of the Jim Carrey classic has been getting mixed reviews, but it might be worth it to hear Benedict Cumberbatch’s take on the character.

The Christmas Chronicles

A Christmas Prince: The Royal Wedding – This sequel to the 2017 Netflix release, A Christmas Prince, might be a bit too cheesy, but it’s worth a watch for all the hopeless romantics out there.

Anna and The Apocalypse – A zombie apocalypse for Christmas? Yes, please.

Elliot: The Littlest Reindeer

Once Upon a Deadpool – The anticipated release is on Dec. 12, but if it’s anything like the Deadpool movies, then it’s definitely worth the wait.

Classic Movies

The Nightmare Before Christmas – The beautiful duality of this movie is that you can technically watch it during Halloween and the holiday season. And, anything by Tim Burton is worth the buzz.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000) – This legendary funny movie that gave us the funniest memes around, as well as a stand-up performance by Jim Carrey, is an all-year-round watch. Too bad Netflix got rid of it…

Polar Express – Take yourself back to the innocent childhood nights when your biggest struggle was that you weren’t on the train.

Elf

Love, Actually – Everyone’s favorite romantic movie!

The Holiday

Home Alone – A controversial choice for Christmas, as many people believe that it is actually just a movie that took place during the Christmas season and that it’s not actually a holiday movie. Still worth a watch!

The Night Before – This Hanukkah and Christmas movie starring Seth Rogan, like basically any of his movies, is a great addition to the list.

Arthur Christmas

Four Christmases

Christmas with the Kranks

Die Hard – This movie seems to be the odd one out, but really, it’s such a die-hard Christmas movie.

It’s a Wonderful Life – This is one of the clearest, best cases of ‘old but gold.’

That’s all for today, folks. Enjoy some time off this holiday season with these movies — you deserve it!

Kawthar Fedjki

Wilfrid Laurier '20

kat who likes cats. 20. psychology student. infp-t. gemini. gryffindor.
Madeline McInnis

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeline graduated from the BA+MA program at Wilfrid Laurier University in 2020. In her undergraduate degree, she majored in Film Studies and History with a specialization in film theory. She later completed her Master's of English degree, where she wrote her thesis on the construction of historical memory and realism in war films. If you're looking for a recommendation for a fountain pen or dotted notebook, she should be your first line of contact.