books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash
Style > Beauty

The Best of Drugstore Skincare & Haircare

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Skin and haircare products are something that most of us use on a daily basis, but, unfortunately, sometimes this comes at a high cost. It’s easy to fall in love with a $60 cleanser or an amazing shampoo that costs more than your weekly grocery bill, but are there dupes? Our team at Her Campus Wilfrid Laurier shares some of their favourite drugstore products that will keep your skin, hair and wallet happy.

Skincare

Face

CeraVe Facial Moisturizer (~$20)

Got combination or oily skin? One of our girls swears by CeraVe facial moisturizer to keep her skin soft and keep break-outs at bay.

Olay Complete All Day Moisturizer (~$10-20)

Combat dull and dry winter skin with this favourite! All day moisture and SPF? What more can you want?!

Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer

Jennifer Aniston is the face of this brand, and her skin is flawless. But seriously, this is so good for dry skin and also has SPF 15!

BioDerma Moisturizers & Cleansing Water (~$10-$40)

We had a few members recommend Bioderma Hydrabio moisturizer and Bioderma Sébium moisturizers. Bioderma has multiple different lines for different skin types, so you can choose which works best for you and your skin. For me, Bioderma Sébium Shine-Control moisturizer is amazing for keeping my oily skin from looking like a greasy disaster mid-day.

Bioderma’s cleansing water is also amazing for cleaning off excessive makeup while deep cleaning and toning your face. An all in one toner? We think YES!

Vichy Normaderm Corrective Anti-Acne Treatment (~$30)

This amazing product is super lightweight and oil free, which is perfect if you have oily or acne-prone skin. This product works to keep your skin moisturized and works to fight acne all day long.

Freeman’s Face Masks (~$4-8)

Here at HCWLU we believe face masks will solve all your life problems. These masks are super affordable and there are so many options. Our favourites are the Dead Sea Mineral Mask, Cucumber Aloe Peel-Off Mask, and the Pomegranate Peel-Off Mask!

Clean & Clear Acne Spot Treatment (~$10)

Need a pimple to completely disappear? Just put a small dab on and your pimple will be smaller, less inflamed and less noticeable. This is a must because we all get pimples the DAY of a big event.

Ganier Micellar Water (~$10)

This cult beauty favourite is collegiette approved! This affordable micellar water dissolves dirt, makeup, oil, and tears.

Body

EOS Shaving Cream (~$6)

Want your legs to feel smoother than baby dolphins? One of our gals recommends EOS shaving cream and Johnson’s baby oil for silky smooth legs.

Live Clean Green Earth Body Wash (~$10)

Add this amazing smelling body wash to your collection. Not only is it moisturizing, but also contains no sulfates, parabens or any of that other bad stuff we can’t pronounce.

Nivea Moisturizing Crème (~$5-20 depending on size)

This crème is super thick and ultra-moisturizing. I bought a tiny travel one for a few dollars because you only need a tiny bit. I only use it where I’m really dry (elbows, hands) but it is amazing.

Hair

Ganier Whole Blends (~$10)

Although this is a relatively new product, it’s causing a lot of buzz. One of our editors/writers swears that she doesn’t style her hair anymore because this shampoo and conditioner combo keeps her hair looking fab.

Oil of Morocco Argan Oil Treatment (~$10)

This daily oil keeps your hair strong, frizz-free and as glossy as supermodel hair. If you’re looking for moisture, this is your product.Batiste Dry Shampoo (~$9)

Dry shampoo is a girl’s best friend, and this one is a Laurier fan favourite. It comes in different scents, for different hair types and even for different hair colours. Less showering, more sleeping, equally nice hair.

Aussie 3 Minute Miracle “Moist” (~$5)

I recently picked this up after reading a ton of great reviews online and it’s probably the best thing I’ve added to my haircare routine. Leave this deep conditioner in your hair for 3 minutes before rinsing once or twice a week and your hair will be soft, manageable and knot-free. Life-changing.

While drug-store brands don’t always have as much hype as our favourite salon or Sephora brands, they certainly help you hold onto your hard-earned cash. From silky hair to acne-free skin, these are certainly worth a try!

Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.