Fruity Drinks
Fruity Drinks
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

The Best Cocktails for Summer 2021

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Summer is on the horizon and with the warm weather comes cool, refreshing cocktails! This article will list a few of my favourite simple cocktails that I recommend everyone tries this summer! Whether it be on a patio, at a restaurant or homemade in your kitchen, these cocktails are a must-try for summer 2021!

Mojito

Starting off with a classic, a Mojito is a perfect balance of sweet and sparkling. This was one of my go-to drinks after a long day in the sun in summer 2020 and let me tell you, it is the best cure for hot-weather-induced aches of thirst. It is the most refreshing cocktail out there and consists of lime, rum and fresh mint! All the flavours perfectly balance each other out and I can guarantee that you will be feeling refreshed after a classic mojito!

Strawberry Daiquiri

Another classic for summer cocktails is the infamous strawberry daiquiri. It is so simple to make at home with frozen strawberries, lime juice and rum or you can simply buy a mix from the store. It is such a delicious, sweet, chilled drink for the summer!

Pineapple Malibu Slushie

This is one of the most simple and enjoyable summer cocktails to make for sizzling summer weather! It takes about five minutes total to construct. Simply mix malibu rum and frozen pineapple slices in a blender and pour it into a glass! Garnish with a fresh pineapple slice and enjoy!

Berry Vodka Smash

This tangy and refreshing cocktail is a mix of different flavours that come together to create a fruity yet tart taste. Mint, berries, lime, maple syrup, soda water and vodka are the typical ingredients that are muddled together to create this quintessential cocktail. Other herbs and spirits can be replaced depending on your preferences!

Blue Lagoon

To be honest, when I order this from restaurants, I absolutely hate it. However, when I make it myself, I have more control of what I want it to taste like and I am obsessed. This cocktail is the most thirst-quenching concoction ever. It looks as though it came straight out of the Caribbean Sea with its beautiful blue colouring. Simply mixing vodka, blue curacao and lemonade allows the cocktail’s fruity and delicious flavours to come together.

Moscow Mule

This is my new favourite cocktail as of recently and is perfect for that sunny day on the patio! With only three ingredients which are ginger beer, vodka and lime juice, this cocktail couldn’t be any simpler and satisfying. If you are in Waterloo this summer, I highly recommend trying Ethels lounge’s Moscow mule named “Ethel’s mule.” It is the best Moscow mule I have ever had. Don’t let the ginger beer scare you away from trying this infamous cocktail!

Frozen Peach Sangria

Frozen peaches, triple sec, white wine combined into a blender result in this frozen masterpiece. Frozen peach sangria is so delicious and easy to make, and it’s a perfect drink to toss down by the poolside.

Pink Bikini

Pink bikini cocktails are made with raspberry lemonade, malibu, amaretto and are topped with a scoop of orange sherbet. It’s a sweet and tropical tasting cocktail that is simple to make and brings all the tastes of warm weather and summer together with coconut, oranges and lemonade.

Popsicle Cocktail

Simply adding popsicles into the blender with your mix makes the most smooth, cool and tasty summer cocktails. Blending any popsicle, frozen fruit and alcohol of your choice together can create a mouthwatering cocktail.

At the end of the day, there are so many delicious cocktails out there to try over summer 2021! We should probably start checking them off the list now in order to keep up. I hope at least one item on this list sparked your interest and inspired you to make your own cocktails this summer!

Maya Allen

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Maya is a third-year communications major and global studies minor. Her passions include traveling, helping others, staying active, cooking and Harry Styles.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!