The Best Christmas Activities in Kitchener-Waterloo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

1. Waterloo Park

Starting Dec. 1, Waterloo Park will be holding their twenty-fifth year of the Wonders of Winter! Waterloo Park is just a short walk from campus and they have the cutest Christmas light displays! Grab a hot chocolate and hop on a horsedrawn trolley ride! What’s more Christmas-y than that?! 

2. Christkindl Market

Celebrate a German Christmas in downtown Kitchener! Christkindl has outdoor huts with vendors (great gift ideas), horse-drawn carriage rides, live entertainment, free skating and delicious hot drinks and treats! This event runs from Dec. 6 to 9, so check it out as a study break! The Facebook event page can be found HERE.

3. Skating in Uptown Square

We’re not the best skaters, but that doesn’t stop us from trying to get into the Christmas spirit! Waterloo Town Square has a cute little skating rink that’s perfect to go to with friends! Or bring that special someone for an adorable date (skating is the perfect excuse to hold hands if you wanna make some moves)! 

4. Cookie Decorating

Gingerbread, sugar, chocolate chip — heck, even oatmeal raisin! Christmas is the best time to bake, snack and especially decorate! Get a group of friends together for a night of baking, make a gingerbread house or have a cookie decorating competition! And if all else fails, just enjoy all the sweet treats you make!

5. Decorate Your Home

There is nothing cozier than coming home to an apartment filled with lights, stockings and Christmas decorations! We go crazy decorating our apartment: Honestly, we dedicated a whole night for hot chocolate, music and all things Christmas. There’s a reason they call it the most wonderful time of the year. Set aside some time to put up lights, bows, a tree if you can and let your place scream Christmas!

6. Santa / At Home Christmas Sweater Photos

Every year we wrangle up our girls and take a cute photo with Santa! Don’t have a chance to visit the big guy in red? No worries! Dress up in your festive gear and take a photo at home or even at the Waterloo Park Wonders of Winter (another awesome reason to go)! This is just something small that not only will look super cute on your Insta, but will be a nice memory to have in the future! Heartwarming? Ya, I think so too. 

7. Dinner 

Going out for a nice dinner is a super low-fuss way to celebrate with your friends or roommates. We still have a Christmas dinner with our first-year roomies every year (shout out to 1A)! Try Symposium or Famoso’s; or, if you’re looking for something a little more casual, check out Beertown or McCabe’s. If you’re feeling ambitious, you could cook and host the dinner yourselves! 

8. Secret Santa 

This is a great activity for roommates, friends or club members (and it helps save a few dollars!) Organize a group who wants to be involved and set a price cap of your choice. This way everyone gets to give and receive, without breaking the bank. 

9. Movie Night 

Rent a projector (free at the U-Desk and for those with memberships at Prism), grab some snacks and throw on a holiday movie! Cozy blankets, pillows and Christmas lights are a necessity for this. Cookies wouldn’t hurt either.  

10. Cafe Hopping 

Between Settlement, Princess Cafe, Cafe 1842, Coffee Culture and TONS more — Waterloo has endless cute cafes. Do some investigating and find out where they make your favourite holiday drink, then share it with us! 

11. Victoria Park 

Victoria Park also has a Christmas lights display — and it’s probably somewhere you don’t go as often. Hop on the bus and go for a field trip! The official lighting is at 6:00 p.m. on Dec. 8. Check out the Facebook event page HERE

12. Chapters

Chapters is one of our favourite places to go in general, so combining it with Christmas makes it even better! With beautiful decorations and unique gift ideas for everyone, it’s a great place to stop by. Head to the one up Weber Street and hang out at Starbucks to study.

13. The Mall 

The mall usually ends up being a necessary stop around this time of year. While it can be stressful on occasion, you can make it fun! Go with a shopping list and some friends and cross some things off the “buy” list. Make sure to say hi to Santa while you’re there — and maybe even grab yourself a treat from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory! 

Erin Dooley

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Erin is a WLU student majoring in Communication Studies and looking to earn her minor in Environmental Studies. She spends her time smiling at dogs on campus and writing whenever an idea sparks her interest.
Sarah McCann

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Sarah is a fourth year Communications and Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University who is passionate abut female empowerment. She is one of two Campus Correspondents for the Laurier Her Campus Chapter! Sarah loves dancing, animals, photography, ice cream, and singing super obnoxiously, in no particular order.
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.