breakfast brunch toast granola food
breakfast brunch toast granola food
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

It’s often said that “breakfast is the most important meal of the day.” No offence to the logic and research behind this statement, but how can you possibly beat brunch? It’s basically all the goodness of breakfast, but in a more relaxed state that gives you more time to sleep in. Plus, it offers the option of lunch-esque food, a severely overlooked meal. Since I strongly believe we need to show some more appreciation for brunch, and that Waterloo hosts an impressive selection of brunch spot options, let’s talk about them!

Mel’s Diner

Known for its retro decor and charming atmosphere, the red booths are often packed with students and weekend mornings are certainly no exception. It’s less than a 10-minute walk west of campus, with the GRT 19 and University Avenue buses conveniently stopping right in front of University Shops Plaza. While you can find all your diner staples here – anything deep-fried and delicious – there’s also a great selection of brunch items to choose from. Lobster Benedict, Meat Lovers Skillet and Banana Bread French Toast are just some of the unique dishes served all through the day so brunch can go on until closing at 10 p.m., but I guess that’s also just known as “all-day breakfast”.

Pür & Simple

Located in Uptown Waterloo, Pür & Simple has a more minimalist charming aesthetic for your Instagram pics. This bright spot has cocktail options to keep the fun of the previous night going, but only until 3 p.m., after which you will have to find your Sangria and Mimosas elsewhere. The brunch staple is a 15-minute walk south of campus or accessible with the GRT 7 bus down King Street. With three styles of avocado toast, this is the priciest option of the bunch. Their wide variety includes sweet and savoury crêpes, homemade waffles and seven types of eggs benedict. SEVEN! 

Homestyle Diner

A family-owned restaurant on Albert Street. The quaint spot is more low-key than the other three but offers all your brunch classics at very reasonable prices. Plus, who doesn’t love a namesake? Check out the Ole Albert which includes three eggs, bacon, ham, sausage links, home fries, pancakes and toast for $14.00 before tax and tip. It’s a 20-minute walk north of campus and right next to a GRT 19 bus stop. With a variety of homemade pies and desserts like peach and rhubarb pie, caramel pecan ice cream squares and lemon bars, this is a sweet spot for your brunch cravings all the way until 7 p.m. every day. 

Korner Kitchen Breakfast and Lunch Eatery

This one may take the cake as far as brunch spots go. With well-priced large portions and a large selection of menu items, it’s no wonder the line-up is so long. This location doesn’t take reservations so large groups beware. With a large team of staff, you shouldn’t have to fret about wait times once you’ve been seated amongst the mix of students and locals. A 15-minute walk east of campus will lead you to this spot off Weber Street North which stays open until 2:30 p.m. on weekends. Their menu boasts a broad variety of omelettes, pancakes and breakfast sandwiches to satisfy all of your group’s cravings. 

These four local brunch spots are some of the most visited and highly praised, but Waterloo also offers many other restaurants and cafes with amazing brunch choices. Take a break from studying and try them out for yourself to see how they stack up. Maybe even take to the kitchen to whip up your own brunch masterpiece! I hope this brunch brief is helpful and that you enjoy your next brunch – whether it be boozy, savoury or topped with ketchup (but please refrain from drowning things in ketchup).

Kaitlyn Electriciteh

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Kaitlyn is a fourth-year business student at Wilfrid Laurier University. She has completed her minor in North American Studies and is now working on her concentration in Marketing. Having started her own custom cakes business, she is obsessed with all things sweet and baked along with dance, literature and travel.