Life > Experiences

Avoiding TikTok: Seven Things To Do Instead of Scrolling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Social Media is a large part of everyday life, however with the impact of TikTok and short seven-second videos, it’s taken over our lives for hours on end. If you’re anything like me, you’ve become addicted to the mindless scrolling and yet feel powerless in being able to stop. What else is there to do? Luckily for you, I have a list of things you can do rather than scroll on TikTok and watch Alix Earle videos for hours. It’s the first step in not only stopping the addiction but lengthening your attention span once again and enjoying more than what’s portrayed through your screen.

Pick Up a Book

Reading is one of the best things you can do for your attention span. It may be difficult at first to concentrate for a long period of time, but once you find a book or genre you really enjoy, reading is something you’ll end up loving. There are a variety of popular books to find online and rather than scrolling for hours, you can find some book recommendations and then put your phone down and read.

Bake Something

As a university student, I came to school with little to no cooking skills. One thing that I’ve truly enjoyed is the freedom to explore new baking or even cooking recipes. Bake banana bread or make those cupcakes and deliver them to friends. Not only is it time-consuming and fun, but those around you will truly enjoy it as well.

Journaling

Something I’ve been trying to get back into is journaling, as it’s a way to express your creative side but it can also be very therapeutic. There are so many different ways to journal. Writing prompts are good for those who don’t know where to start, but just mindless writing about how you’re feeling or how your day has been can be fun as well. If you’re really looking to put a creative flair into journaling, add photos or collections of things like movie tickets and stickers to look back on. Reading old journals is one of my favourite ways to pass the time because you can reflect on how far you’ve come.

Yoga or Pilates

Sometimes going to the gym or working out surrounded by others can be intimidating. Especially with the snowy weather, getting to and from places can be a hassle. One thing you can do from home to get your body moving is yoga or Pilates. There are so many guided videos to help you start and you’ll feel so much better once you see progress and begin to improve. It doesn’t have to be long; a simple 10-minute video is all you need to begin your at-home movement journey.

Play a Game

Many of us are glued to our phones and our only source of interaction is through messages. However, if you live with people or have people close by, you can host a game night. Board games, card games and puzzles are great ways to spend time with friends without being attached to your phone. With a good snack and good conversation, the game night can be a very fun way to spend time.

Create Something

As a child, I was always making things. I made my own doll furniture, painted pictures and made beaded jewelry. As an adult, these are things we don’t consider doing. However, connecting with your creative side as an adult can be very beneficial. Pick up some supplies and paint on a canvas, colour in an adult colouring book or make vision boards with your friends. The creative process does not have to end in childhood.

Deep Clean Your Space

This is something that may not seem fun at first but can be rewarding and beneficial in the end. Put on some music, grab a glass of wine and try on all the clothes in your closet. See what really fits and what you really want to wear. Go through that junk drawer and get rid of all the garbage. Donate or sell things you’re no longer using. We are constantly accumulating things but we rarely go through and get rid of the things we no longer are using. Take the time you’d usually be scrolling and organize your space a little.

One of my New Year’s resolutions is to spend less time scrolling this year and the first step to that is finding alternative things to do in the meantime. Doing things that keep your mind off social media is so beneficial for your mental well-being. Getting in touch with your creative side is something we all need to do a little bit more, to gain back our personalities outside of our digital space.

Kaileigh Klein

Wilfrid Laurier '25

My name is Kaileigh & I am a communication studies student at Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, Ontario. I am the Vice President of Writing for our Her Campus chapter & love everything there is about writing. My career goals range from journalism to marketing, with interests in all creative fields as I love reading, writing and content creating. I love reality TV & am a huge gym rat, as the gym is my favourite place to be. I am also quite obsessed with Taylor Swift & true crime podcasts.