This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Much of my time lately is spent worrying about some of the “big things” in life: final grades, university graduation, work applications, jobs post-grad and career paths. I’ve always heard that your twenties are a decade full of major life changes and adjustments as you attempt to set yourself up for the future. Some people are still finishing their undergraduate degrees. Some will be continuing school to get an MA and/or PhD. Studying to become a CPA. Entering med or law school. Travelling the world. Dating. Breaking up. Finding love (breaking up and finding love is a process that may repeat until you find the one). Getting engaged. Married. Having kids, or not having kids. There are so many big things in life to think about. I often find being a young adult and trying to figure out what I want for myself is no easy feat, especially when there are so many directions your twenties can pull you in.

When all of the big, daunting ventures of life are constantly top-of-mind, it’s easy to forget about all the simple pleasures or moments that can bring me joy. The little things in life can differ from person to person, but I encourage you to discover what activities, company, weather, food, beverages and so on brightens your day. For me, I love a pretty sunset, when the sky lights up with colours of yellow, orange and pink. Slow mornings when I get to just unwind and enjoy the coffee I made. Fresh flowers on display. A hot shower or bath. Spending quality time with my family and friends. The simple pleasures can look different every day. I love the satisfaction of making a delicious home-cooked meal and, at the same time, going out to or ordering takeout from my favourite restaurants. The simple pleasures can also depend on the time of the year. I love rainy days when I get to cozy up inside and watch one of my favourite movies or TV shows. Sunny days, especially when the light shines through my bedroom window and lights up the space. Snowy days during the holiday season. The list could go on and on. While these things may not seem like much, hence them being the ‘little things,’ they greatly contribute to my day-to-day happiness.

When all of the big life decisions and events take up so much space in your mind, it’s easy to forget the many little things in life that make it so great. If you’re like me and often get caught up in thinking about all of life’s big ventures, this is a gentle reminder to slow down and enjoy life in the present. There are so many wonderful little things about life to appreciate.

Avery Carpino

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Avery is a fourth-year Communications Studies student at Wilfrid Laurier University. She enjoys working out, reading and watching TV shows — The Walking Dead and Suits are shows she always revisits. She also loves spending time with her friends and family. Avery loves being a writer for Laurier’s Her Campus chapter, as writing is her main creative outlet.