sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Decor

Apartment Décor Ideas on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Whether you’re looking to decorate a small apartment or a dorm room, planning your vision can be daunting, especially if you’re under restrictions due to space or a budget. For us university students both are usually the case; room decorations don’t come cheap! Luckily, there are still ways that you can design your living space with a little research and DIY. Below, we’ve compiled some apartment décor ideas for you to try out if you’re looking to brighten up your living space and to get your creative juices flowing!

Removable Wallpaper

If your landlord doesn’t allow you to stick or hang anything on the wall, removable wallpaper is your best choice to dress up your walls. With an adhesive alternative, you can paste your wallpaper anywhere you’d like in your apartment. There are so many designs and colours that you can choose from online that are budget-friendly too; you can find wallpaper on Amazon for under ten dollars!

Mood Board

What better way to store your polaroids and photos than to display them on your wall? You can customize it to your choosing and brighten up your room with a personal touch. A bulletin board is a perfect place to put your photos; you can use pins to stick them on. In addition to photos, a mood board can consist of other images that you like; magazine pictures or drawings, for example.

DIY Coffee Mug Holder

Instead of storing your mugs in the cupboard, you can display them on a board for easy access and aesthetic purposes! You can build a board by drilling slabs of wood together and putting hooks on them to hang the mugs. You can also decorate it by writing or drawing on it however you want and then simply hanging it up in the kitchen. If you’re looking for a fun DIY activity with your roommates, they definitely won’t be opposed to this if they love coffee!

Countertop Herb Garden

I’m a sucker for kitchen decorations and I was super excited when I saw this idea online. For those who love plants and herbs, an indoor herb garden is a great idea; you get to show off your fresh herbs and pick off one easily when you’re cooking which is very convenient. If you don’t have time to plant the herbs yourself, buy already grown plants and put them in food cans with some soil and arrange them nicely on the countertop.

Rolling Utility Cart

These are great for small spaces as you can repurpose it to hold anything you want! Make it a bar cart for a night out with the girls or use it to hold personal belongings like photos, books, etc. You can find all sorts of carts on Amazon in the $50-$80 range. The possibilities are endless so I would definitely say that it’s an essential for those who want to make their apartment look fancier without spending more than $100.

Decorating your apartment as broke college students isn’t as difficult as it may seem! There are so many budget-friendly ideas available out there; we’ve mentioned a few in this article to help get you started. Happy decorating!

Cici Wei

Wilfrid Laurier '20

A 4th year Political Science and Management Option Student at WLU.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her