ALIAS Takes OUCH 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

The Ontario University Competition for Hip-Hop (O.U.C.H.) is an annual non-profit hip-hop dance competition, open to all college and university students in Ontario. Founded in 2003 at the University of Waterloo, O.U.C.H. strives to create healthy, and friendly competition between post-secondary dancers in order to promote the culture of hip-hop.

There is no proper way to explain the feeling that you get from being at a dance competition. Whether that is as a dancer or a spectator, you can feel the excitement and anticipation brewing the moment you step into the theatre auditorium. Last night I had the opportunity to attend the Ontario University Competition for Hip-Hop, or O.U.C.H., as it is better know to many, and witness true talent, passion, and drive. This year, O.U.C.H. took place at the University of Waterloo’s Hagey Hall Humanities Theatre. In total sixteen schools were in attendance, including Laurier’s very own ALIAS. Schools from all across Ontario came to demonstrate why they are so passionate about the sport, and their determination was clear. Having a competition held so early in the school term, leaves for only two months of preparation, but based on the dancers talent and performances, you would assume they have been dancing together for years.

Last week, I had the privilege of being able to sit in on an ALIAS practice. It was from that moment that I knew that ALIAS was ready to take on O.U.C.H. The dancers had put everything they had into their performance and were holding nothing back. Placing third at last year’s competition, ALIAS had tasted what it was like to win, and were hungry to take it all home at O.U.C.H. 2014. Following the performances, there were dance battles where one dancer from each school would face off against another dancer. It was during these face-offs that friendly competition was executed, and talent was praised.

Finally, the judges had come to their decision and made their way on stage to reveal who would be taking home the championship. Overall five awards were given out. One for best costume, best soundtrack mix, followed by a first, second, and third place. It was at this moment that all dancers had truly left everything on the stage. Placing third was awarded to McMaster University, followed by University of Waterloo taking second place, and Ryerson University for best costume. First place was then announced and awarded to Wilfrid Laurier University! ALIAS came to O.U.C.H. ready to win, and they achieved their goal. Not only did ALIAS place first, but also won best soundtrack mix, and will be the hosts of O.U.C.H. 2015!

Every year, all O.U.C.H. proceeds are donated to a charitable effort within Canada. This year, all proceeds from the show went towards UNITY Charity, a group that empowers youth to make better choices as mentors, leaders, and positive role models within the community.

For more information on UNITY, visit their website here  

Elyse Mulhall

Wilfrid Laurier

Third year Communications and Global Studies double major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, ON, Canada. What you should know about me? Incoming Co-Campus Corespondent and Co-Editor in Chief for Her Campus WLU! Obsessed with all things surrounding: good conversations, good people, good food, instagraming and beyond. Like these things? I like you! Let's be friends? instagram @emulhs
Andreia McLean

Wilfrid Laurier